My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have a 1986 Ford 1710 tractor, a sweet little machine except for one thing, it has manual steering. Is there a retrofit kit for installing power steering on this model or some other method of getting power steering? I love the tractor except for the manual steering.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Roy Hill

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Are you sure that it's manual??I've got one also,and it's termed "power assist" steering.Not your regular power steering by any means.To make things worse, it has a FEL which makes it even more like manual steering.My old Ford 2000 HAS power steering,and it is a dream compared to the nightmare of power assisted steering.Check your manual. It'll show you the difference.

Carrie

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
according to cnh, there was manual and power stering.

PS columns appear under the following assembly part numbers:

SBA334010590
SBA334010620
SBA334010870

manual columns:

SBA334010630
SBA334010610

I guess you could find a donor tractor and swap parts.. otherwise it would be pretty expensive to buy new.. if all the parts are available. etc..

soundguy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, its manual steering alright. I have a repair manual and an operators manual and they both show a 1710 with power steering and one without. I tried all my local contacts with tractors and they couldn't come up with a good solution either. I guess I will just keep the tractor and learn to love manual steering.

I do appreciate the response. Maybe someday I will run into someone that has a junker with good power steering parts.

Have a great day.

Roy H :thanku:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
As one side idea.. you might contact jackson power steering and see if one of their units will fit your machine..

soundguy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks soundguy,

I just sent them an email. I didn't know about that company. I just might get lucky.

Roy H :thanku:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
good luck.

many times if they don't have a template for your tractor.. they might at least help you with parts.. etc.

soundguy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jackson Power Steering don't have the kit fot the 1710 yet but he has it on his "to do" list.

Thanks Soundguy for the information, I will keep his web site and check with him later on his progress.

Roy H

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I'll try those links for used parts.

Roy Hill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts