My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old reliable 140 is still running great, (Engine was upgraded to a 16HP Kohler Magnum some time ago) but lately when engaging the PTO the noise is getting very loud from the PTO clutch. Is this an indication that it is on it's last legs? Is it possible to repair the clutch or should I look for a replacement?Would any electric clutch work as long as it matched the 1 1/8 output of the engine shaft? Doesn't seem to be many parts available for these old Fords.(1969)The year doesn't seem so old to me though. I'm vintage 1931!! Herb

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
Is the noise there just while the mower deck spins up to speed and then the noise stops? Or is it there all the time the mower deck is running? I have a much newer LGT 14H. The electric clutch has three adjusting nuts to set the gap. You use a feeler guage at three spots to set it. You might want to take a look at your manual and see if yours is the same.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don, The noise is only present during engagement. I will take a look at the adjustments today and see if they are O.K. Thanks, Herb

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don, Pulled the clutch and found that there is no adjustment. What i did find was the pulley has a lot of side to side movement so probably the bearing is bad. Now to figure out how to get the bearing out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts