My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a new water pump, if you have a lead on one I would like to know.
I need a new fan.
I need to know if the wear from the impeller on the engine block is going to significantly reduce the affectiveness of the new pump.
Does anyone want these parts in the pictures below.

Here's a story. Scoopin' dirt for electrical lines out to the horse barn and I was thinking, "hmmm, there sure is a lot noise, what is that? the gear train?" then suddenly there was a THUD! and the tractor got very quiet, except for the "purring" 2 cylinder diesel. It never sounded better! Then rubber smoke, OK, shut her down! Smoke went away, start her up! Smoke again, fan belt is not moving. Shut her down. A closer look revealed a water pump out of wack, and a broked plastic fan blade, tried to turn it but it was solidly stuck. That must have been the thud.

I found a picture of what one looked like on ebay. I could see removing the cylindrical body was going to be challenging. I read that several people had busted their housings trying to get it out of the engine. So, I carefully got started on removal.

Radiator out, hmmm, wow, the fan is busted and jammed into the fan shroud. Worked it loose and removed the fan as well. I unbolted the pump housing and proceeded to pull out the pump. Grabbing the loose fan flange I pulled and to my surprise half of the pump comes off in my hand. That looks bad. The shaft had broken clean through. That must have been the thud.

I put a chisel behind the housing casting and tapped lightly with a small hammer. Nice! The housing moved a gnat's hair! Now I could carefully work the screw drivers and chisels into the crack, CAREFULLY tapping with the hammer on the pump, rocking it out of the hole. An HOUR LATER I get it out without breaking the housing! Hallelujah! I can see a white oxide powder near the oring, that is probably what gets everyone hung up. Be patient.

OK, the pump is out. Little pieces of bearing (half balls) are sprinkled everywhere, the impeller looks like someone took a grinder to it. Bad news, there is a wear spot inside the engine block. Hmmm, what do I do about that?

Here are a couple of pictures.
A new pump on ebay.

ford 1300 water pump new.JPG

ford 1300 water pump busted s.jpg

My busted pump.

Bill

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
How bad is the wear spot on the block? Based on the design of the pump impellar I would say some block wear won't be a problem at all. I wonder what allowed the impellar to move inward toward the block?

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
My bet would be that the shaft went sideways when it broke rather than in towards the block, but seeing as how it's already inside the block in its normal position, sideways would score the inside of the block without having to go in any farther than it already was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you guys are right. It went sideways and scored the block or whatever surface it could reach. It is in there a few inches. Anyhow, I couldnt measure the score but I could measure the impellers and I lost about 3mm max on the 11mm impeller height. 2 blades are untouched but all the rest have some wear. There is a sizable gap in the normal assembly so, I agree, I don't think there will be "much" affect but I will have to make extra sure I keep the antifreeze topped off. Anyhow, NewHolland had pumps for $300, I pick it up in a couple of days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I got a new pump from New Holland, $ouch$. But I was glad they had one..in stock.
But I still need a fan, any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, I was thinking about how this may have happened. Now it could have been just worn out, the tractor has 900 hours on it which doesnt seem like much. When I bought it the engine was covered with grease, I think from spilled diesel and dust. I sprayed it with that foam engine cleaner. I wonder if some of that got into the bearings of the water pump. The bearings are not sealed off from the outside elements, though it seems unlikely. Still I would be very careful using that stuff, it breaks down oil and grease quite well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts