My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this indicator supposed to do? It appears that it is intact (two fat yellow wires going to something inside of a hole in the dash). The owners manual says hold the key to the CCW for thirty seconds, someone told me there is supposed to be a red glow indicator lighting up in that hole in the dash. I don't see anything, is that true? is there a way to check it to make sure it is working. I dont want to burn out my glow plugs trying. New owner here, obviously.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The hole is supposed to glow red when ready. If it doesn't, take a light and look into the hole. You should see a coil. If you don't see a coil, remove the wires and unscrew the chrome bezel on the dash and replace.

You can put a voltmeter or light on the terminals to see if voltage is getting to and across the coil. If so, check voltage to the glowplugs. If you are getting voltage there and the coil doesn't light, then the glowplugs are probably no good.

To check the glowplugs individually, remove the wire and bar on top of the plugs, check resistance by grounding to the ohm meter to the head and the other probe to the top of the individual glow plug. If no resistance, the plug is no good. Unscrew the plug to replace.

Good Luck!

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
2nd Tractortech. That's exactly the way the glow indicator works on my 1100. All the indicator is, is a piece of high resistance wire that glows! The current for the glow plugs flows through it. If the current is insufficient, it will not glow. This will happen if one of the glow plugs craps out. Also, it's very difficult to see it glow in bright sun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. I put tractortechs tips into my notebook, and donimbimbo, you were right, it is just hard to see in the sunlight. I went out in the dark and within five seconds it began to glow. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts