My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have a good bit of pine trees and mostly on the outskirts of my yard and 3 in the back near end of yard but since I have been here since '01, I really have never raked up before cutting. Maybe that as well shortened the life of my MTD mower, cutting the pine cones. I now , well yesterday raked them up before I cut, raked the cones out of the way and I'm wondering what you guys do and if you cut over the cones or what.

I really hate raking and stuff to be honest and its a PITA especially when its hot as heck and you want to cut and don't have time or energy for raking befre you cut. So what do you guys do as for the messy pine cones and cutting?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Whenever I have encountered pine cones, I've always just mowed over them and not worried about them. I really can't see where these would tear up a mower, dull the blades, maybe, but not tear one up.

Have you considered a sweeper to pick up the cones before mowing?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just mow them as well.

On a related note....I get covered at times with pine sap. It gets all over the steering wheel & is a mess. I keep a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol on hand...spray it on & wipe it off with a rag.....cleans it right up.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I just mow them as well.

On a related note....I get covered at times with pine sap. It gets all over the steering wheel & is a mess. I keep a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol on hand...spray it on & wipe it off with a rag.....cleans it right up.
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just mow them as well.

how about cleaning the mower? I have just sprayed my old one off good but i think with this to avoid water in engine and stuff possibly, I was thinking just air off good and take a wet rag and wipe the whole mower or dirty areas off . I would think that would eliminate possible rust later on down the road. I believe that even the smallest spot of water, if that same area or areas keeps getting those little water spots and you never dry the mower down, eventually rust might form lol.

so I'm taking all things in account with this Husky mower I just bought; used but in great shape.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I mow over them all the time, I have over 20 in the part of the yard I mow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
how about cleaning the mower? I have just sprayed my old one off good but i think with this to avoid water in engine and stuff possibly, I was thinking just air off good and take a wet rag and wipe the whole mower or dirty areas off . I would think that would eliminate possible rust later on down the road. I believe that even the smallest spot of water, if that same area or areas keeps getting those little water spots and you never dry the mower down, eventually rust might form lol.

so I'm taking all things in account with this Husky mower I just bought; used but in great shape.
I think many on here have different definitions of the word clean :)

I wash mine with car wash soap & water, Dry all the areas I can get to & then park it in the garage. I don't spray water directly on the engine, near any electrical components or anything hot. And yes....I'm one of those that keeps it waxed.

If the tractor is basically clean but just dusty I hit it with the leaf blower.

I'm also one of those guys who pulls the deck at the end of the season and wax it top & bottom, sharpen the blades, grease the pulleys etc. Lol...only person I've seen on here that has me beat is Mayor...I think he actually repaints every year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts