My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a heads-up for new members. We've been getting a LOT of people signing up and posting for sale and wanted to buy threads. Scammers then sign up and post in the thread trying to rip you off. I've spam banned about 5 doing this in the last 48hrs.

All for sale and wanted to buy threads and posts in existing threads are supposed to go in the shopping mall forum. New members are not allowed to access it until they have been here for 15 days and have 15 posts.

This is to prevent scammers from attempting to rip our forum members off. Thanks for understanding, hang around awhile, post in some threads, then you can post in the shopping mall.

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a new member here. I understand the new rules. Scammers are inundating all these places. The 15 days makes a lot of scene, but the 15 posts seems like a lot. Just my opinion.
It lets us weed out the scammers. You've only been here 1 day and have 5 posts. You'll easily reach 15 posts in a few days.

They actively target members on the open forum. Typically sign up to comment on a wanted to buy thread and drop an email address in there. 15/15 has eliminated that if the posts are in the shopping mall forum. We haven't had a scammer try to rip anyone off in there.

It's the posts in the open forum. Not many scammers can pull off 15 posts without something sounding fishy to the staff.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I am a new member here. I understand the new rules. Scammers are inundating all these places. The 15 days makes a lot of scene, but the 15 posts seems like a lot. Just my opinion.
DT,

The 15 posts can be replies also, you do not need to start 15 posts.

CCMoe

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DT,

The 15 posts can be replies also, you do not need to start 15 posts.

CCMoe
15 replies means 15 posts.
Threads are new topics.
There are 6 posts in this 1 thread.

Reactions: MARK (LI) and CCMoe

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bumping this up for new members as we've had a lot of activity since mowing season is back on. Please understand that we are not doing this just to whoop up on new members, it was to combat a problem that we had for a long time before this and has all but eliminated it/scammers from the forum.

We know our new members are not likely scammers but For Sale and Wanted to buy posts in the open forum trigger scammers to sign up and immediately post in them.

Once again, welcome to the forum and thanks for understanding.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would like to go on record agreeing these rules totally makes sense after the further explanations. I will say that I unintentionally may have rubbed some super moderators the wrong way by implying that maybe the rule could be modified in some way. Also, I feel like my future posts were scrutinized more closely because I made a really bad first impression by making a mistake with my first post by not taking the time to understand the rules.

I was just about to sign up for the premium membership thinking maybe that would help take the pressure off me, but then apparently I was notified my new post had been interpreted by a moderator as still possibly "hinting" that I might want to purchase from a member. I had no idea I gave that impression until I found out several posts later while I was discussing fabricating the part. While that was certainly not my intention as could clearly be seen by the fact that I was discussing fabricating the part when I was told by Superior tech it was no longer manufactured, I do understand now how my words could have been misinterpreted especially within the context of my original posts.

My wife and I share our email and after our 20-something kids then also read all of the posts, they felt like I was about to be "canceled" from this forum because of my mistakes. They found it absolutely entertaining that their Dad was taking a few hours off work due to being really sick and had gotten myself in this pickle.

I appreciate all of the help and want other new members to learn from my mistakes so they can enjoy the knowledge and benefits that this forum has to offer.

Thanks again for your patience, and I apologize for the lengthy post!

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agree with this rule.... and getting one more post in the process!!! ;)
Thank you for understanding. New members think we are accusing them of being scammers when we remove their FS or WTB threads but it isn't them we are blocking, it's the scammers waiting for those threads to pop up so they can join and attempt to scam in them that is the problem.

Reactions: HiDesertRat

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Honeymooner4evr: I can understand how you feel. I have belonged to several forums and they all have different rules, each serving the forum the best way the moderators can manage the forums. This doesn't mean they are always right or wrong, just humans and have a life other than the forums. If they are able to set up some computer controlled specifications to relieve some of their monitoring time, more power to them. I is really nothing for a member to make 15 posts to reach the quota, just participate in the forums, interact with the people, get to know each other and enjoy the journey!
I believe the best way to get into a ******* contest or be misunderstood, communicate via text! Most people, myself included, can not write or read the written word anymore. For example:
My wife and I share our email and after our 20-something kids then also read all of the posts, they felt like I was about to be "canceled" from this forum because of my mistakes. They found it absolutely entertaining that their Dad was taking a few hours off work due to being really sick and had gotten myself in this pickle.
When I first read this, I thought, "Holy crap! They have 20 plus kids and lost count!!!" LOL Than realized you meant you children were 20-something years old. Not that you wrote it wrong, but I read it wrong. If I hadn't taken the time to go back and actually think about what you meant to say. I would have left thinking you and your wife either fostered kids, had adopted children or had taken the whole Honeymooner4evr to a completely new level! LOL

I have had to go back and read my own posts....exactly as I wrote them, not how I meant to write them. Sometimes I have had to eat crow and reword a post or appolize for misspeaking.

No disrespect meant by anything in this post. I try to find humor in most things. When I read something someone else wrote, I try to remember folks these days seem to spend way to much time being defensive instead of offering some understanding.

Enjoy your day and I hope we have the chance to interact on other posts.

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bumping this to show what happens when we have For Sale threads in the open forum. New member looking for parts. Scammer signs up and posts a fraudulent email saying he has what the OP is looking for.

Rectangle Font Material property Magenta Screenshot

Reactions: dave_r and PA318Guy

·
Registered
20 Posts
@Honeymooner4evr: I can understand how you feel. I have belonged to several forums and they all have different rules, each serving the forum the best way the moderators can manage the forums. This doesn't mean they are always right or wrong, just humans and have a life other than the forums. If they are able to set up some computer controlled specifications to relieve some of their monitoring time, more power to them. I is really nothing for a member to make 15 posts to reach the quota, just participate in the forums, interact with the people, get to know each other and enjoy the journey!
I believe the best way to get into a *** contest or be misunderstood, communicate via text! Most people, myself included, can not write or read the written word anymore. For example:

When I first read this, I thought, "Holy crap! They have 20 plus kids and lost count!!!" LOL Than realized you meant you children were 20-something years old. Not that you wrote it wrong, but I read it wrong. If I hadn't taken the time to go back and actually think about what you meant to say. I would have left thinking you and your wife either fostered kids, had adopted children or had taken the whole Honeymooner4evr to a completely new level! LOL

I have had to go back and read my own posts....exactly as I wrote them, not how I meant to write them. Sometimes I have had to eat crow and reword a post or appolize for misspeaking.

No disrespect meant by anything in this post. I try to find humor in most things. When I read something someone else wrote, I try to remember folks these days seem to spend way to much time being defensive instead of offering some understanding.

Enjoy your day and I hope we have the chance to interact on other posts.
You have a great sense of humor, and I am sooo guilty of writing that can be misinterpreted. I am still laughing at the 20 plus kids! Thanks for making my day.
PS For a really interesting movie documentary look up "Mully" about a real life hero who did have 20 plus children in his home.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm a Moderator on a Diesel Forum and the Scammers are bad there also. Members were being PM'd by a scammer so we made it that a new Member had to have 5 Posts in order to PM. It has worked out real good because they are easy to catch when they try to make a Post and not know anything about a diesel truck.

I probably average 8-10 Scammers a week that I Ban.

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a Moderator on a Diesel Forum and the Scammers are bad there also. Members were being PM'd by a scammer so we made it that a new Member had to have 5 Posts in order to PM. It has worked out real good because they are easy to catch when they try to make a Post and not know anything about a diesel truck.

I probably average 8-10 Scammers a week that I Ban.
They are trying to get around it on here. I banned one yesterday posting several times in threads with "yes" and "I agree". By 15 posts they stick out as not fitting in here.

·
Registered
747 Posts
They are trying to get around it on here. I banned one yesterday posting several times in threads with "yes" and "I agree". By 15 posts they stick out as not fitting in here.

I find when I check there IP they are always from a small Foreign island in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts