My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello tractor lovers!!

I have an interesting story that, if it prevents 1 person from having the same mess that I had, this time spent typing will be worth it.

Last tuesday night, I was using my FEL to clean up an area that had an old burn pile. After digging out the dirt/nails/scraps of wood, etc, etc.... I was bringing back fresh dirt to cover/fill in the spot.

I hit the pile of fresh dirt the second time, went to raise up the loader and..........nothing. I'm thinking "What the ****'s wrong" So I tried it again, the loader barely moved.

I looked down at the mower deck and the hydraulic fluid is just pouring off the deck and onto the ground.

"Awwww now this can't be good" :fing20:

I was about a half a city block away from my garage, so I nursed it home. Once I got onto my driveway, I couldn't steer anymore. I shut her down and put more hydraulic fluid in her. This had enough to get slight steering to get her into the garage, but what a mess of hydraulic fluid on the driveway.

Once in the garage, the hydraulic fluid was still running off the mower deck. So I dammed up the direction of the spill with rags, while I ran to Menards to get oil-dri, scrub brushes and some type of eco-friendly degreaser. I also wiped up the driveway before I left.

All the while I'm thinking "I just blew the transaxle in my tractor" and watching what could be a couple of thousand dollars in repairs, fly right out of my bank account.

After going to Menards and getting what I needed, then I had to go and get my wife from her job. All of this is happening at 10 pm. I told her this story and she is trying to reassure me that it could be a blown hose, all I could see is major money flying away.

We spent the next 3 hours getting the mower deck off(very hard with no hydraulics and with the loader attached) only to find the low pressure return hose blown off its pipe.

A $1 hose clamp, similar to what you would find on your car's radiator system holds this low pressure hose onto the return pipe from the control valve block, was slightly loose and the low pressure(150 psi) blew it off, causing this dilemma.

Man, was I swearing at those John Deere engineers for designing this the way they did.

My wife is a trooper. She laid right there under that tractor, right in the oil-dri and hydraulic fluid and helped me get it back together. We finally got to bed about 2 am after showering to get all the oil off of us.

Next day, off to the JD dealer to buy 2 gallons of fluid and talk to the mechanic. Under his instructions, I refilled the system and now all is good.

Cleaned everything up and now I'm back in business. What a relief.

So, the moral of this story is, check all your hydraulic connections and make sure everything is tight and secure so you do not have to have the same mess that I had.

A picture is here showing the hoseclamp & pipe that blew apart.

Thanks for letting me ramble..............

Attachments

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Joe,

What a mess. Is there any chance your loader is adding hydraulic pressure to the system?

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Man, I'll bet that was a mess everywhere, but glad it was just a clamp and nothing serious :fing20:.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My wife is a trooper. She laid right there under that tractor, right in the oil-dri and hydraulic fluid and helped me get it back together.
She is a keeper…go buy flowers. :thThumbsU

Although the repair was a bunch of work at least it wasn’t expensive.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow! what a mess. Glad everything worked out and no damage to your equipment or yourself (except high blood pressure) My big farm tractor with loader has the same kind of clamp on the return hose but it has a barbed fitting, if the fitting is smooth I'd double up on the clamps. Sounds like your wife is a keeper. :thThumbsU Good Luck.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Railroad Joe, I am glad everything is okay. Good thing you had spare hydro fluid around. I have been following your thread on your new FEL since you purchased it. How are you liking it?

·
Super Moderator
35,807 Posts
Remember an oil bath is good every once in a while! Glad to hear that it was a simple fix!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Joe, sorry to hear about that difficulty, but thanks for the warning!

Usually the screw-tight hose-clamps like the one in your photo will hold better than the spring-tension kind seen on many automotive radiator hoses.

Is that the hose clamp that came off, or did you replace it with the one we see in the photo?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Joe,

We talked about this already, but here I am, wondering is there enough slack in that hose that you could pull it up further on the steel pipe, another inch or so, enough so that you could get two hose clamps on, in alternating directions?

I'm glad it was something simple, I just don't want to see it happen to you again.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I hate to hear that you had such a mess, but I'm happy the fix was cheap and relatively easy.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
RRJoe,

Sorry to hear about your trouble but glad you got it taken care of. Now if I may ask where exactly is this hose located on the 700 series? Or is this a loader only problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread, now onto answering questions,

JDFanatic: Not sure, anything is possible. In the fall/winter when we would change over to plowing operations, I have noticed a small area directly below where this hose is, on the deck that had an area of oil, caked with dirt, when we took off the deck for winter. It should have hit me all those times, but it didn't. It very well could have been because of lowering a couple of hundred pounds of dirt at a high rate of speed, with a semi loose clamp that made it blow off. Right now since tightening, so far so good.

Abumpa: You're right about the flowers, with one exception, my wife would rather go tool shopping at Home Depot than get flowers. She is definately a keeper!!

Blind Ref: I'm very happy with the loader and what it can do so far. I know it's not one of the big boys, but for what I'm gonna do with it, it will work out just fine.

UrbanTractor: The pic shows the exact clamp that came loose.

Brett: You're right and we both tried that night to get it on farther, but everything was soooooo slippery from the oil, I got tired of fighting it. For now, it is what it is.

MightyMouse: That hose attaches to a pipe that comes from the control valve body where you would connect loader/plow hoses to operated front attachments. The pipe is flared and the hose attaches right above the mower deck almost dead center. Next time you have your deck off, look underneath and follow from the control block backward toward the rear and you'll see where they connect together.

IronRoad: Those clamps look like they would hold anything together!! Much more secure that radiator clamps, thanks for the heads up!!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Hoses that are under that kind of strain can be secured a bit better by using a couple pieces of wire and a second clamp.

loosen the existing clamp and slip two pieces of tie wire under the clamp so they run on up the exposed steel tube. Tighten the clamp on the hose and bend the excess wire over the clamp and along the length that is running up the tube. With one of these "hairpins" on each side of the tube add a second clamp on the steel tube and over the wires. Tighten this clamp, bend the wires back over it and trim to length.

This trick also works well when butting two pieces of hose together on a barbed fitting. Just add the wires under the clamps holding the hoses.

More than doubles the resistance to the hose slipping off the tube.

Mike

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Sorry you had the problem and mess to clean up. Great to hear it was a cheap fix and your back in business. slkpk

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
Im just going to throw this out there and let you guys make of it what you will.......

I cringe every time I read where someone has a leak, knock, funny noise or hot machine and they continue to drive the tractor. I understand the desire to get it home to look it over, but if you run the pump dry it wont lubricate anymore and will cost big bucks to replace.

Loss of steering IMO ment you were way too close to pump damage for my liking.

JMO

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
She is a keeper…go buy flowers. :thThumbsU

Although the repair was a bunch of work at least it wasn’t expensive.
Flowers doesn't seem quite right for a lady like this.... I was thinking maybe an arrangement of T-handle Hex wrenches?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts