My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I hate to break it to you, but it looks like you've got paint down in the spark plug hole. That might make it hard to get a plug in there. I advise to you try the plug before you put the head on, make sure you can get it to spin in cleanly. If not, you'll need to clean that out some. It may work to spin the plug in as much as possible, back it out, and try again, to keep working it in. Essentially using the plug as a tap.

I don't see anything else wrong with your head.

+1 on the cool looking. I have several sets of bolts with chromed heads, for when I want to build up a machine that looks cool.
Oh I know, before really tightening the head down Im gonna totally clean out that paint alright because chips and little clogs of that paint will bugger-up the plug threads. I'll use a 20 or 12 ga. hard nylon or bronze bore bruse for that, putting the rod in this little B&D drill/driver for that.
I have a small concern but its ju, but Im not going one step backwards again because I have to use those ones tuff for me I guess but I kinda suspect those bolts are stainless but all of my other S.S. bolts dont have grade marks on the head like those do.
I have litteraly bought 75 bolts for this head and those are gonna be the last ones I buy for sure.
These happen to be blue-dipped but they had red & green and a cpl diff colors of dipped bolts. Wonder why?

P.S....Before I do anything I have to find something to test this torque wrench out on.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Mark,
You and I are in the same boat. I have been traveling to Vanderbilt Neurology in Nashville, TN since April of this year to get my head checked. In fact, I am going back this coming Tuesday to hopefully get my actual diagnosis... my issue is memory problems too PLUS I have lost a great amount of my previous mental sharpness.

I am so glad that you are back on this project. Hopefully, it will be roaring to life soon - unless, you start overthinking things again:tango_face_wink:.
You got it Bud, and I hope your diagnosis is good to. Im afraid if I go I'll never get out.
I have that blood flow prob to my legs N feet to but thats because of wt. and dang smoking.
I gotta go on a diet for sure or Im gonna croak.

People I went to scool used to compliment me because I always looked so much younger than they did and I would say jokingly and for modesty as well " well thanks but all that means is I'll prolly fall apart all at once lol" and thats EXACTLY whats happened!
Later (hopefully lol)
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
BTW, Anyone want try to help on a/the proper sequence to putting all of this stuff back on this thing? I know without some assistance I'll wind up putting things on and having to take them back off who knows how many times before getting it right.
I figure after head gets bolted on here in a cpl mins ( removing paint from plug hole & painting sum anti-seize on bolts w/small acid brush first) I'll either put manifolds on ( exh & intake/carb) then prolly the fuel cell and fan encasement w/pulley ( I make-up these terms incase noone has noticed lol) and after that Im sure it will be a day.......if I get that far wich is debatable lol.
I have a heck of a lot of small things to locate, if its smaller than my thumb I have to find it and thats when the wrenches get thrown thru the fence.
Any 'coaching' will be greatly appreciated.

Oh yea, I guess 20 lbs. torque aint much because I twisted in two two of the horizontal long bolts w/nuts that are beside the valve covers at the end of the 'block' I guess it would be, where the jug bolts on. I heard a faint 'click' but thought "is that it?" and kept going and they snapped. So next time I just stopped at the click and thats what Im gonna go with.
If it looses compression or crap/fuel vapor comes out tween the head and jug I'll know what it is.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Before you bolt on the head, make sure those washers are hardened.
You do NOT want to use soft washers on head bolts.
(They look soft to me.)

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Before you bolt on the head, make sure those washers are hardened.
You do NOT want to use soft washers on head bolts.
(They look soft to me.)
Hey Dan, when I got the washers they said "for use with the bolts I got" in so many words, forgot exactly what they said verbatim lol.
But its on now, my only thing w/it is I dont really trust the torque wrench or my use of it perhaps because sometimes it would hang-up ( act like it didnt wanna turn like a ratchet acts like theirs not enuf resistance or something, and sometimes I wasnt sure I heard a click and things got pretty tight so I stopped and sometimes it worked smooth as could be.
But its on and Im not about to re-visit it unless theres a catastrophic failure because Ive been on this head all & all for a year!
Now for 11 mos out of that year I just soaked on it and let it drive me crazy & to scared to touch it untill I said a cpl weeks ago "h311 with it" and just did it. So all I can do now is hope its gonna work.
Thanks
Mark or ' Gerrard'

P.S., Didnt hear any cracking like last time though...might when it gets hot from running but not yet and that puts me one step ahead from last attempt.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ok, it's on, just check the torque from time to time after it gets hot and cools.

BTW the words "for use with the bolts I got" in so many words, really doesn't mean anything.

Good luck,
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Good show!

BTW, Anyone want try to help on a/the proper sequence to putting all of this stuff back on this thing?
1. Manifolds on. Don't put the carb or muffler on yet.
2. Fan assembly loose in shroud. Shroud on.
3. Fanbelt on. Set tension and tighten down fan assembly.
4. Carb on.
5. Muffler on.
6. Governor? Put it on and connect linkage.
7. Set ignition timing.
8. Install plug. Connect to mag.
9. Install and adjust controls.
10. Tank on. Install fuel line. Test for leaks.
11. Hood on.

That's not totally formulaic, but will generally prevent those D'oh! moments.

Then put fuel in and crank her up!

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Good show!

1. Manifolds on. Don't put the carb or muffler on yet.
2. Fan assembly loose in shroud. Shroud on.
3. Fanbelt on. Set tension and tighten down fan assembly.
4. Carb on.
5. Muffler on.
6. Governor? Put it on and connect linkage.
7. Set ignition timing.
8. Install plug. Connect to mag.
9. Install and adjust controls.
10. Tank on. Install fuel line. Test for leaks.
11. Hood on.

That's not totally formulaic, but will generally prevent those D'oh! moments.

Then put fuel in and crank her up!
Thanks a lot, I went ahead and put plug in just to cover the plug hole from debris cause if I would put a piece of paper towell in it or something my dog would get it out.
But I was surprised at how hard the plug was to get in...geesh didnt expect that.
I'll have to adj valves before firing it up but w/a feeler guage and small wrench that should be easy enuf.
Unfortuneatly I only have time to spend an hr or two with it and I dont look forward to finding all the little nuts and bolts and what goes where small things, Ive even got my control levers apart w/the smooth plb looking bushings for new grease and stuff and have new small hand grips as well that go on them. I bought a lot of new things so I wouldnt have to search everywhere for them.
Gotta finish installing my h-bar kill button, I have the wire pulled thru it but stopped there but that aint nothing.
It 'll be nice when it does go together and now I have a starting point I asked for so thanks a lot.
Mark

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
But I was surprised at how hard the plug was to get in...geesh didnt expect that.
That's because there's paint in the threads.

Also I forgot 3.5: cooling shrouds on

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That's because there's paint in the threads.

Also I forgot 3.5: cooling shrouds on
Oh I totally cleaned the paint off the threads long before I put the plug in, even cleaned off the new #3076 plug threads.
But it went in and came out a lot easier. I removed it because I went to turn the pulley like I always do to keep everything lubed in there and just to make sure nothing was hanging-up in there and it was hard as heck but it did turn, then it dawned on me " hardly no place for air to escape exept through the exhaust valve duuh" I dont know what I was thinking but I thought it would just come out the exhaust hole/flange but first it has to go thru the 1/8" or so barley open valve so it has some compression for sure.
So I removed plug and it was easy again lol.
But the paint was long gone, was gonna take pic but , well I might have taken one accidentally from when head was on.
Thats the fattest plug I ever put in anything.
Heres one I took

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Oh I totally cleaned the paint off the threads long before I put the plug in,
Good.

There's probably some residue down in the bottoms of the thread grooves, enough to make it not spin in cleanly. Or it could just be leftover dirt/carbon. It's not easy to really clean stuff like that out without running a tap through it, but as you discovered, the plug itself will somewhat act as a tap.

The good news is that you can get the plug in and torque it down.

Good call on setting the valves. You'll want to do that as step 0. They're much easier to get at now than later.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Good.

There's probably some residue down in the bottoms of the thread grooves, enough to make it not spin in cleanly. Or it could just be leftover dirt/carbon. It's not easy to really clean stuff like that out without running a tap through it, but as you discovered, the plug itself will somewhat act as a tap.

The good news is that you can get the plug in and torque it down.

Good call on setting the valves. You'll want to do that as step 0. They're much easier to get at now than later.
Gotta brush up on exactly how to do it or the proper setting. I did once already but that was before the jugs were switched.
I remember putting a feeler guage tween the lifter I guess and valve stem ( dont kno if Im calling the stuff the right name, in a hurry gotta go to work) but crank pulley and at the right space or thickness on guage tighten with a little wrench that barley fits in there, I got one that works pretty well for that particular job.
Im kinda semi-retired but on my own terms , my job lets me work 3 days a week if I want and do but if wer'e real busy I come in of course. I have the most seniority than anyone in the bldg. and that is just 13 yrs.
But the way I feel I would have a hard time working every day because its so physical, and I work beside of kids in their 20's and its rough on them and Im 59 and in bad shape. Mostly over weight and smoking is my main probs.

Well theres my sorry azz life in a nut shell lol!
And I'll clean up those threads a bit more on the plug and I do have a new T & D set but I think I'll do some practicing because I do need to know how to use it. I did buy the dern thing so may as well learn how to use it.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Let me first say Im not just slapping this thing together because I need a Gravely to get running fast, to ones who have joined in the last year or so I am doing my best to restore this to give it to my son and I want to get it as new as possible if for no other reason I can tell how good he is taking care of it because if he doesnt I will repo it fast.
And a big part of it to is to have a hobby instead of guns but I wont go into that these days on-line but they are gathering dust as well.
So here is some of the small stuff Ive been doing the last cpl days in-between other stuff that has to be done around here as well.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to remove the small control handles. I just took a butane-mini torch and heated-up an old knife and laid it on the small grip and it opened up like a banana , litterally like a hot knife thru butter and it just came right off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Wait there's more!
I love posting pics, and when this stuff gets put on it will be nice,
And no it doesnt have any internal probs that I know of.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Been looking for my other side control levers for 3 days now. And Im so hard headed I wont do anything else until I find them.
They are here somewhere.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts