My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept looking out my back window and this Gravely was looking right back at me... it is a 8163-B, I believe. Has a 16HP Briggs. 50" deck and hydraulic lift.

The hydraulic lift does not work - the PO said he just mowed with it and didn't worry about it. I wonder if it just leaked all the fluid... does it hurt them if they are run with low or no fluid?

The motor does not run - I believe it need some carb work as gas will drip out the side (or somewhere, have not tracked down yet) and it gets a very weak spark. The PO said it ran this year, but the last few times, it kept getting weaker every time he ran it and it finally wouldn't start back up.

This carb is not like any I've worked on before - seems a bit complicated, but I have not dug in, yet. Any insight on this?

I'm thinking the points and condenser are the culprit with the spark, but time will tell.

The machine has been garaged and looks decent. I'll snap some pix tomorrow.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
It won't hurt the tractor to run it with bad hydraulics, but don't work the up down lever if it's low on fluid. Check the level of the fluid, if it's low look for leaks. If you don't see any obvious leaks, check the level of the trans oil. Some times the hydraulic pump's seal will blow out and pump all of the hydraulic fluid into the trans. If the trans oil is over filled and/or the oil is reddish, the seal could be the issue.

Be careful disassembling the B&S carb. There is a long brass jet that must be removed before separating the top and bottom half's.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
It is one of Briggs more complex carbs, not hard but don't force anything. Buying Briggs genuine parts has yield the best results for me and are not that much more than the Stens/Rotary etc. I love my 16 singles. Good luck with it!

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Dan,

Check the little lift rod between mower deck and hydralic lift arm. Sometimes a little keeper pin breaks off, the rod unhooks and it seems like the hydralics do not work.

Roger,

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan,

Check the little lift rod between mower deck and hydralic lift arm. Sometimes a little keeper pin breaks off, the rod unhooks and it seems like the hydralics do not work.

Roger,
I'll do that and let you know... thanks.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
That would be nice for changing the battery or other maintenance.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Yep, and it won't leak water either.

Nice tractor! Hope you get it running soon.
You let it rain on your Gravelys?? :Stop:

It happens to all of us. I think leaving them out every now and then reminds them how good they have it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You let it rain on your Gravelys?? :Stop:

It happens to all of us. I think leaving them out every now and then reminds them how good they have it.
It ain't comin' in until it runs! That's its motivation... or wait, is that my motivation?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
The abomination that I continue to call an 816 has to sit out under my deck for the time being, but it is pretty much out of the rain. Before the snow flies this year, I'll need to make room in the garage for it, the cart, and that 50" deck I have now. :banghead3

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
My tractors are spoiled - they live in a nice dry shed. :fing32:
I consider it a compromise... I keep them dry, I have fewer issues with damp magnetos, water in fuel, etc and they start most of the time with no fuss. :trink40:

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Mine get indoor storage when they get to Ohio. Otherwise they might get a tarp or nothing but a fresh coat of paint for protection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts