My Tractor Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
JD Fanatic, sorry for not getting back to you sooner on my comment. Its not the turning stops i was commenting to. It is the front axle stops. When a front tire goes in a hole the axle can hit a "stop" if the hole is deep enough. This is when you will notice the difference of having spacers on the front of a wide front tractor. Unless the front is on one of the stops it whole axle is just "floating" as if its tricycle front tractor.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
JD Fanatic, sorry for not getting back to you sooner on my comment. Its not the turning stops i was commenting to. It is the front axle stops. When a front tire goes in a hole the axle can hit a "stop" if the hole is deep enough. This is when you will notice the difference of having spacers on the front of a wide front tractor. Unless the front is on one of the stops it whole axle is just "floating" as if its tricycle front tractor.
TG,

Interesting. I've never gotten to that limit. :) But thinking about it, wouldn't a tractor with spacers reach a lower depth than without?

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
YES but with out hitting those stops from the tilt of the front axle you are balancing the whole tractor on the rears.
TG,

I'll have to think about that. It certainly isn't an issue with my property/uses but thanks for pointing it out. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Follow Up Again: Cut grass this weekend and also put one of those handy angle guages on the top of tractor just in front of guages (magnetic type). Have sort of a compound angle. 25deg down and approx 15deg sideways.

I changed the way I did some of the area in question, mainly going down hill and then around and back down in Low and 4wd. I took off the complete loader and the quick hitch. The tractor was much more stable side to side. I do say that without the arms the center of gravity feels lower and probably is because a good part of the arms are hood high. Also as posted before the manuverablity is much better. Lastly, without the arms going up hill the tractor felt a little light in front so MAYBE the suitcase weights may be in my future. For now I will just do what I did this week and as I get a better feel for the tractor maybe make some changes. Thank you all for the suggestions. Bill

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Bill1031

Glad to see you are trying to be safe. You have a great piece of property and a great tractor. I'm sure you will quickly figure out the safest way to mow your property. Good luck. :fing32:

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Bill1031

Glad to see you are trying to be safe. You have a great piece of property and a great tractor. I'm sure you will quickly figure out the safest way to mow your property. Good luck. :fing32:
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.