My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
JDFanatic, how do you mow to create a cool pattern like that......is each 'stripe' simply mown in the opposite direction? Do you need to use a roller afterwards or anything like that? I was inspired by your pic to try, but I can't get anything that looks anywhere near as cool as yours.

Also, how did you mow straight through that tree? :ROF :ROF :ROF

View attachment 70191
Smeagol,

That pic was taken when I was using the side-discharge and Gator blades. I did mow up and down to create the stripes, but no roller. Now I'm using the mulch kit and you don't get as noticeable striping. The tree actually has a 36" dia. mulch bed around it. I guess it's hard to see in the picture. :)

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Smeagol, the type of grass also holds a significance for stripes...fescue stripes very well, bermuda won't stripe for heck.

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
Smeagol, the type of grass also holds a significance for stripes...fescue stripes very well, bermuda won't stripe for heck.
Thanks GADeere, that may well be my problem, I have a bermuda style of grass (NZ variety) it just doesnt seem to show up the strips at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Tripletap, another good saying is "to each their own".
JDFan, The property is in Moneta, VA. Close to Roanoke or SW VA. Also your yard looks great! (I will ask what is in tires next time I talk with that dealer.)

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
stripes in grass - Oh My God ... You guys need to start drinking or something :ROF :drunkie:
I'm starting to think that maybe you are :ROF :ROF :ROF

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
tripletrap, In my opinion the striping looks great.

There's a couple of reasons I love this forum; first off, there's some REALLY clued up guys here who impart their knowledge freely, with finesse, humour and honesty. I'm new to this whole game, and I've learned an immense amount from listening to those who who have done this longer than I have been alive.

Secondly, I'm passionate about my property and landscaping, thats why I bought a JD2305. There are members here with some stunning properties - two that come instantly to mind are Mayor's and JDFanatics lots (check out their pics). When I see something that I like, I try and emulate that in my own property. Hopefully with some hard work I can eventually post some pics that will also be an inspiration to others.

Each to his own, you don't like the striping - no problem, maybe you could post some pics of your property and inspire us all. :wwp: :wwp:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not exactly sure why my not liking or liking striping or anything else for that matter (wheel spacers) is causing such a problem for you folks? I was told a group of you :crybaby: have called for my head over the wheel spacer debacle, because why? Because I won't agree with you?

It seems in the short time I've been here, there appears to be a collective mentality going on in this forum - Everyone has to like or dislike the same thing - and God forbid the poor schmuck that may speak out against "the collective", "the clique", "the group"-

- reminds me of an old "Star Trek next generation" episode "The Borg" ...

Well unless, and until, I get banned I will speak my mind - get used to it, or don't bother reading my posts. I've never been a Lemming, and I won't start now.

Folks your property is your property do what you want with it I could give a rat's a** but don't get all whiny on me and defend yourself for liking striping of lawns - great who cares - I don't, so, get over it...!!! Why do you even need to defend your position about liking striping anyway - ?

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Resistance is futile you will be assimilated" Oh no half my head is going to turn into a JD tractor - :ROF

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
:ROF :ROF :ROF :ROF Its not what you said, just the way you said it (in a womans voice) :ROF :ROF :ROF :ROF

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I am a newbe and maybe in this thread I opened myself open for some sort of grief. I really do not care and as I said or quoted " to each their own". I appreciate ALL input wether it be positive or negative. To end this thread I would say that I will try all possible solutions, first being the least expensive but if I do not like the way it works out I will do whatever it takes to make me feel safe to cut the grass. If anyone is unhappy with what I decide then they are more than happy to come and cut it for me. I will even supply the beer when they are finished. Thank you all!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bill,
I live in Bedford. Good to know someone close!!

You guys gotta get used to Tripletap, he stated he was buying a Kubota and got rear smart a--ed when I asked why he changed his mind. In fact, after his response, the mods. closed the thread. I did not give a ****, just curious, now I don't care.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For what it's worth (not much I know!) I have the spacers on mine and have been very happy with them. I bought mine so I could run rear chains with the backhoe subframe still attached. They also made a little extra clearance up front for the R4s to clear the front mower bracket knob. Not hitting that at full steering lock is nice. I don't mow much on slopes, but I know those spacers can't be hurting the stability!

the only complaint I would have is that now the tire track is just a bit wider than my tiller. Certainly not worth taking the spacers off though.

I had to educate my dealer on them, but he thought they were a good idea and wasn't worried about any warranty issues.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
- and God forbid the poor schmuck that may speak out against "the collective", "the clique", "the group"-
You are welcome to your opinion, but you must relate it in a polite way.

If you don't like the way this forum is run, why would you want to stay here?

BTW... anything you can do to make a tractor wider when dealing with slopes like those pictured will help. The wider, the better. Even 2" helps. Don't like the price? Build your own, or find another source. No point in getting all upset and denying they work because you don't like the price.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello Ya-Ya, your not far away either!! Had not noticed Salem in your signature before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bill1031 and Kenneth H

It sure is good to see some Virginia boys on here. :fing32:
Yup, more than one apparently.

Oh, and tripletap, you need to go back to middle school I believe.

When you have a triangle that weighs 3000 lbs and you extend the bottom side an extra 2 inches while leaving the other two sides alone, you lower the center of gravity, they may not have taught you that up north but down here in virginia it's common sense.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

This thread is getting a little too tense with some personal insults being added to the comments. I don't feel this fits in with the overall tone that has been consistently demonstrated here for a long time. So I think everyone should count to 10 and reread their posts before submitting them. We want to keep this a friendly place.

Regards
Brian

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Hi

This thread is getting a little too tense with some personal insults being added to the comments.
I have a feeling all will be fine now...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hope your right!! We will see.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.