My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Spacers on the front... any of you guys run them there yet? I know they will help in the back. On the front they wont do anything till your front ends suspension hits the stops.
TG,

I run them on all fours, so does JDEERE_GREEN. What do you mean "till your front ends suspension hits the stops"?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got the reply from Bob Sherwood and he told me "no problems so far". He does not have to remove any deck wheels or any other modifications. So it is off to the JDD today to order the spacers. Thanks all for the input. Bill

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why would you pay +$300.00 for a gain of an inch on width - If you really think that inch is going to make any difference at all in how your tractor will handle stability wise I think you may be sadly mistaken ... If your slopes are that bad an inch of width isn't going to "make a hill of beans" pun intended...:ROF

You have to find the right person who has them (who will be frank) about the performance and not embarrassed to admit they made a $300.00 mistake - I'm sorry but I just can't see it making any difference.

Besides that - what is the manufacturing intention of the spacers anyway (it's original purpose as stated by JD why are they made) to provide stability or some other reason ...? I don't believe JD states these spacers will make any difference in the stability of your tractor do they? Put more ballast in your box and save your money - (unless this is just about the "Cool factor") "my tractor is wider than yours", whatever ...

alleviate the clearance problem for the chains

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
I just sent Bob Sherwood a pm asking about the fit with the 54" deck. :)
Bob Sherwood sent me this pm:

Hi JD: Well I have about 55 hrs. with the spacers and have not had any problems ( that I am aware of) I have been using the mmm along with a 48 inch KK rotary mower and even with both attached I have not had any clearance issues. The only problem is the mmm keeps coming down from the lock position but it is no big deal just makes a better mole hill leveler. I have not used my skid plate since the land has no trees just pasture. P.S. Just checked the lugs the other day and they are still tight. Good Luck B.S.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Why would you pay +$300.00 for a gain of an inch on width - If you really think that inch is going to make any difference at all in how your tractor will handle stability wise I think you may be sadly mistaken ... If your slopes are that bad an inch of width isn't going to "make a hill of beans" pun intended...:ROF

You have to find the right person who has them (who will be frank) about the performance and not embarrassed to admit they made a $300.00 mistake - I'm sorry but I just can't see it making any difference.

Besides that - what is the manufacturing intention of the spacers anyway (it's original purpose as stated by JD why are they made) to provide stability or some other reason ...? I don't believe JD states these spacers will make any difference in the stability of your tractor do they? Put more ballast in your box and save your money - (unless this is just about the "Cool factor") "my tractor is wider than yours", whatever ...
tripletap,

You are sadly mistaken about the performance difference these spacers make. Instead of accusing those who know the significant difference they make on slopes of not being honest; you might want to look in the mirror and admit you are being cheap. I mean $300 (and you can get good results with just the rears, so half) on a $20,000 purchase is insignificant. :)

Farm tractors for years have used spacers to increase stability. Larger tractors have offset rims for this very reason. 1"/side makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nobody is accusing anybody of anything - I am merely looking for a professional opinion: not someone who just thinks they work -

You however, are acting like an - and calling people names outwardly on this forum is not a good idea (CHEAP) -

I wouldn't consider myself cheap - I want to spend my hard earned money on something that will actually make a difference, not just (I think they work)

These spacers aren't even made for nor are they supposed to be installed on this model 2305. There will probably be a warranty issue if you install them and something happens with your PTO, Tranny, rear end - JD loves to look for ways to run from their warranty obligations why give them any reasons to -

Just saw you are a moderator - shame on you !!!

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Nobody is accusing anybody of anything - I am merely looking for a professional opinion: not someone who just thinks they work -

You however, are acting like an - and calling people names outwardly on this forum is not a good idea (CHEAP) -

I wouldn't consider myself cheap - I want to spend my hard earned money on something that will actually make a difference, not just (I think they work)

These spacers aren't even made for nor are they supposed to be installed on this model 2305. There will probably be a warranty issue if you install them and something happens with your PTO, Tranny, rear end - JD loves to look for ways to run from their warranty obligations why give them any reasons to -

Just saw you are a moderator - shame on you !!!
tripletap,

If you look at the pics I posted on post #13 you will see a the slope I deal with and quantification of the amount. That slope I would not mow without my seat belt on and lots of pucker factor. After installation of the spacers, I even mow it with the ROPS folded down. There is a huge difference.

As for the warranty issues; this has been discussed. Do a search. I discussed this with my dealer before purchasing the spacers. He did not have a problem with the usage he already knew I use my tractors for. This too has been publicly discussed on this forum.

Bottom line; the spacers do make a difference. Are they right for everyone? Probably not. But there are many of us that rely on them everyday. :)

·
JD RULES
1,025 Posts
TG,
I run them on all fours, so does JDEERE_GREEN. What do you mean "till your front ends suspension hits the stops"?
Hi JDFANATIC ,

I believe Team_Green is referring to the front axle pivot hitting a stop ...

Later,x595

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Hi JDFANATIC ,

I believe Team_Green is referring to the front axle pivot hitting a stop ...

Later,x595
x595,

I guessed that too, but mine turn until the powersteering runs out of power and not when it hits a stop???

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
IMHO I would remove the loader and put some suitcase weights on the front. When I mow around the dugout the weight because it is low and right at the front wheels so it keeps the nose down very well when I go up the hill. I am not sure how many you can run on a 2305 but I use 5 on my 2320.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Went to the JDD earlier and showed the salesman this site and my pictures. His OPINION was to remove the FEL completely and quick hitch. Mow in 4wd and low. Not buy the spacers because he felt it would not make any difference. He also looked at JDFans pictures and told me that a 15 to 20 degree slope is nothing for the 2305. I am going to try this combination the next couple weeks and see what happens. Also I was not sure if the same spacer is for front and back. He did not know because he has never sold them. Price was 141.00 a set. I am not concerned about the $$ it is more of a safety issue. I am also trying to get a landscaper to give me pricing on either doing rip-rap or maybe different ornamental Grasses and a couple trees and say to heck with the steep part. Bill

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
He also looked at JDFans pictures and told me that a 15 to 20 degree slope is nothing for the 2305.
Bill, only if you mow straight up and down. I like to vary my patterns. Here's an example:

The spacers are the same front and rear. One other thing you might consider is loading the rear tires. Many of us here have added RimGuard which adds ~ 110# per tire. This too helps with stability. As for changing the landscaping, that is the most preferable solution. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
JDF, I know that the rear tires are loaded but I do not know with what. When I bought the tractor the dealer said they load all tractors they sell in the rear.
Tripletap, I high lighted OPINION because he did not know for sure because he had never sold them. So therefore he had no feedback and he FELT they would make no difference. I will try without the loader arms and hitch and see. If I FEEL that its a little tippy then I will give it a shot. Also When I had the Zero turn I put AG tires and different rims on it to give more stability (wider by 2inches overall in rear). Worked much better for stability but the hydros would get hot and not pull the way they should. Sort of hard to explain but grip was not the problem. Never say never and never say it won't work unless you try it. Bill

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Bill,

I'm not exactly sure where in VA you are, but you may have less issues with freezing than we do. Calcium Chloride is the highest weight liquid per cubic inch material used to load tires. It is also one of the most caustic and if spilled will kill your lawn and possibly your animals. Water, antifreeze and wiper fluid are all also used but don't pack as much weight. RimGuard is a good compromise.

You probably should find out what you have so if you ever get a flat you have some advance idea of what you'll need to do/get. :)

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
... I am not sure how many you can run on a 2305 but I use 5 on my 2320.
I believe seven (7) is the max with the extension bar ....

2CED

·
Registered
71 Posts
Never say never and never say it won't work unless you try it
Well Sir, I'm not about to pay out $150 a set x 2 - $300.00, to find out they don't, not unless the dealer states he'll take them back.

But, because it a relative thing, anyone can say they work when they don't, so the dealer would be shooting himself in the foot with that guarantee ?

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
Bill, only if you mow straight up and down. I like to vary my patterns. Here's an example:
JDFanatic, how do you mow to create a cool pattern like that......is each 'stripe' simply mown in the opposite direction? Do you need to use a roller afterwards or anything like that? I was inspired by your pic to try, but I can't get anything that looks anywhere near as cool as yours.

Also, how did you mow straight through that tree? :ROF :ROF :ROF

Lawn Grass Yard Backyard Tree

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.