My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a couple weeks ago I posted that I had gotten stuck and had to get my truck to get the tractor back up the hill. Ya,ll that posted and told me I was probably in high gear were correct.:thanku: I cut my grass this weekend and had no problems. I will see if I can post a picture of my tractor :greendr: along with a couple shots of my yard and you will see what I call slopes. The 2305 does a good job but I do need to take it slow and I keep it in 4wd for most of the yard. I did read in another post about wheel spacers and they may be something I will look into also. (Will they work with a 54c mower?). I do drop the bucket for the grass cutting, but left the arms on and the hitch. Tires are loaded. Thanks again Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the salesman delivered the tractor he made a point to tell me that the arms protect the tractor and should leave them on. He never showed me how to remove the mower deck but pointed what had to be done. I will do that the next time I cut grass just to try it and wash it off. Attaching a couple more pictures because I know everyone loves pictures:thThumbsU .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, Thanks JDF, I will take off the loader completely next time. Also I will stop by the local JD dealer Monday and check on those spacers. I am thinking I will do front and back. Any draw backs to that?
Slkpk, I bought the quick hitch on Ebay. I have a tow hitch attachment that fits great with some spacers I got from TS. The ballest box is another story. I need to either grind away part of the metal on the box so it clears the bolts on the top link or maybe try a pin on the lower part of the hook. I am just learning all these little things as I go.
A short story: I bought a zero turn toro before buying this 2305 (some ones expert advise). The hill by the patio, first time I went down that I ended up half way down in the deep grass.
On the JD the first time I went down I was in 2wd and slid almost to the high grass. Slow and 4wd...piece of cake.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WH401, I only go up in a couple spots and I would never take that part of the yard sideways. Even with a push mower at the steepest point it is hard to walk accross the hill. This week was a learning curve and it took me awhile to cut but I was trying to fiqure out the best way to cut it. I mainly drove around to gravel and then re-engaged the blades and went down the hill. Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JDF, Your yard is pretty typical of most of my yard except the part by the patio and were the grass is overgrown.It is just not worth doing that part.
My question is that with the spacers and a 54C mower will that hit (Scalp wheels) or not give me much overhang on my deck? Anyone using Spacers on a 54C?
Tripletap, They look simple to install and from what I have read they are under 300.00 for all four. Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got the reply from Bob Sherwood and he told me "no problems so far". He does not have to remove any deck wheels or any other modifications. So it is off to the JDD today to order the spacers. Thanks all for the input. Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Went to the JDD earlier and showed the salesman this site and my pictures. His OPINION was to remove the FEL completely and quick hitch. Mow in 4wd and low. Not buy the spacers because he felt it would not make any difference. He also looked at JDFans pictures and told me that a 15 to 20 degree slope is nothing for the 2305. I am going to try this combination the next couple weeks and see what happens. Also I was not sure if the same spacer is for front and back. He did not know because he has never sold them. Price was 141.00 a set. I am not concerned about the $$ it is more of a safety issue. I am also trying to get a landscaper to give me pricing on either doing rip-rap or maybe different ornamental Grasses and a couple trees and say to heck with the steep part. Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
JDF, I know that the rear tires are loaded but I do not know with what. When I bought the tractor the dealer said they load all tractors they sell in the rear.
Tripletap, I high lighted OPINION because he did not know for sure because he had never sold them. So therefore he had no feedback and he FELT they would make no difference. I will try without the loader arms and hitch and see. If I FEEL that its a little tippy then I will give it a shot. Also When I had the Zero turn I put AG tires and different rims on it to give more stability (wider by 2inches overall in rear). Worked much better for stability but the hydros would get hot and not pull the way they should. Sort of hard to explain but grip was not the problem. Never say never and never say it won't work unless you try it. Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Tripletap, another good saying is "to each their own".
JDFan, The property is in Moneta, VA. Close to Roanoke or SW VA. Also your yard looks great! (I will ask what is in tires next time I talk with that dealer.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I am a newbe and maybe in this thread I opened myself open for some sort of grief. I really do not care and as I said or quoted " to each their own". I appreciate ALL input wether it be positive or negative. To end this thread I would say that I will try all possible solutions, first being the least expensive but if I do not like the way it works out I will do whatever it takes to make me feel safe to cut the grass. If anyone is unhappy with what I decide then they are more than happy to come and cut it for me. I will even supply the beer when they are finished. Thank you all!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Follow Up Again: Cut grass this weekend and also put one of those handy angle guages on the top of tractor just in front of guages (magnetic type). Have sort of a compound angle. 25deg down and approx 15deg sideways.

I changed the way I did some of the area in question, mainly going down hill and then around and back down in Low and 4wd. I took off the complete loader and the quick hitch. The tractor was much more stable side to side. I do say that without the arms the center of gravity feels lower and probably is because a good part of the arms are hood high. Also as posted before the manuverablity is much better. Lastly, without the arms going up hill the tractor felt a little light in front so MAYBE the suitcase weights may be in my future. For now I will just do what I did this week and as I get a better feel for the tractor maybe make some changes. Thank you all for the suggestions. Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.