My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Kubota
8 Posts
Parts are all in I will complete the install tomorrow with loads of pics. But first the part is confirmed to be from General Transmission and the pulleys are JD. Also came with a new belt and instructions even though it’s pretty straight forward it’s a nice to have.

Then I noticed something, the pulley looks a little different. It’s beefier, seems they upgraded the stalk and the unit feels heavier. Instead of a hex shape at the top and bottom it’s thicker and goes the whole length and sleeves in so there is no space. I wonder if this added to the occasional slip or lack of top end. I noticed one of the older stalks ends looked to have some corner wear on the hex points.
Did you replace the primary drive pulley? Its about $52 from General Transmissions. Was yours ok? I haven't torn my apart yet to see if its bad. I was able to slip the secondary drive pulley out without taking out the transmission. I don't think my primary is bad from what I can see. I was just wondering if I should replace it while I have it apart. Also what Idler pulleys are they that you replaced? Are they for the mower deck? Thank you for the awesome write up and pictures!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The main pulley was in mint condition, it’s a much sturdier piece and had no wear or indications of an issue. I lubricated everything I could and reinstalled.

As for the idlers I did the ones for the traction drive belt, not the mower. They were a bit trickier to locate because most pieces for replacement refer to the deck. Apparently one has been known to fail causing bad vibrations, so I just popped two new ones since I had it apart and it was an easy install.

·
Kubota
8 Posts
The main pulley was in mint condition, it’s a much sturdier piece and had no wear or indications of an issue. I lubricated everything I could and reinstalled.

As for the idlers I did the ones for the traction drive belt, not the mower. They were a bit trickier to locate because most pieces for replacement refer to the deck. Apparently one has been known to fail causing bad vibrations, so I just popped two new ones since I had it apart and it was an easy install.

Thank you for the help....Where are the idlers located? Are they close to or on the transmission or up near the engine?

·
Kubota
8 Posts
That’s them, be sure you recall or label which goes where.
Thanks

Clutchrider; I got the parts and while changing out the secondary drive pulley the screw broke off inside the shaft while torquing it down. While extracting the screw the extractor broke off inside the shaft, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. I had to drill out the hole bigger and had to use a bigger screw. I don't know what the torque spec is as it changed with the different size screw.

Can you measure the spring (compressed height) from the pulley to the top of the cap where the screw holds the cap? That way I can get an idea of where mine has to be. I put it all back together and it is slipping and the tractor barely moves. Or do you have any ideas to get me close to where I need to be adjustment wise so the secondary drive variation will operate like its suppose too? Thank you in advance.

·
Kubota
8 Posts
Maybe the simple way to ask the question is....is the spring compressed so the that cap is against the top of the shaft?

·
Registered
189 Posts
John Deere D105 is a total piece of crap, this is the bottom of the bottom line of lawn tractors from JD. Tractor has a plastic transmission that has no longevity. I have one that my neighbor gave me with 100.2 hrs and the trans is stuck in gear. When I jacked the back end up the two rear tires sagged from the weight. Avoid this tractor by all means. John Deere should be ashamed for making such low quality tractor for the 1499.00 price.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Always assumed and I learned today the TT K40 trans isn't used in all smaller lawn tractors. Until today, this is what I had believed. Most of the time, I'll go to tractor data to see what a tractor model# is about. General trans RT400 with CVT which is variable speed like used on some go-karts these days. All interesting stuff. My mistake at first was to look up LA105 which is not your tractor but curiously it had a Dana 4360 also with CVT. Now I'm curious if General Trans & Dana hydro trans are better that the Tuff Torque K40/K46.

It's always fun to see people go thru a project with the pics. The pics really do help tell the story. THANKS

21 - 29 of 29 Posts