My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm disassembling a Wisconsin Model THD. The flywheel nut is secured with a roll pin inserted next to one of the flats of the nut. How do you all suggest removing that pin?

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
The roll pin is probably for the hand crank. Clean it up and lube it and it should come out easily with a punch and hammer. Wisconsin flywheels typically come off very easily. Use a soft hammer on the crankshaft so you don't mushroom the end of it.

·
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you telling me to drive it through??? I don't think it's for the crank. There is nothing for the crank to rotate on. Just the hex nut.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The aged parent welded a pair of 'vise-grips' to a pipe plug that fit our slide hammer for pulling spindles on a cotton picker. Something on that order should work if the vise-grips alone won't. That's a new locking arrangement to me, but I'm woefully short on Wisconsin experience.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I went and looked at the THD in the shop and don't seem anything like that. Sorry I can't help you but apparently one of us has an odd-ball engine.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
If that is a thru hole, you might be able to drive the pin deep enough to remove the nut, assuming there's nothing behind it. If not, you might try removing it with a pair of 90 degree cutting pliers.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
A little penetrant lube and a punch-n-hammer oughta take care of it. Never seen a factory retainer like that before, but looks functional.

·
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it goes through, it's good. If not, what if it breaks off? Is that a problem? I probably won't replace it if it's not factory.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
I really do not think that pin was put in at the factory. I have worked on several of the Wisconsin twins and I have never seen one with a pin there. I have seen some with a split nut and an Allen screw in them to keep the nut tight. That was on an engine used on a NH 66 baler when they first came out.
Dave

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
That looks like a home made setup to me. Think I'd try running a self tapping screw into the roll pin and put a small prybar under the head of the screw and on the end of the crank for leverage. Pull it out like a nail. First thing would be plenty of soaking with penetrating oil.

If this doesn't do the job then a small grinder to cut it off flush with the flywheel would work.

Mike

·
Registered
250 Posts
You could cut the pin flush with a Dremel tool and drill it out.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I just looked in my wis book standard lock washer to hold nut on.I can see the washer behind that nut.may be a little jury rig.

·
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried driving it through. It went a little ways and stopped. I have to get some cut off wheels for the dremel

·
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since several of you have access to a Wisconsin twin, can you all show me pictures of the choke and throttle set up? I know there are different ways of doing it.

·
All Fired Up
454 Posts
The way it looks, the pin is not holding anything anyway. It looks to be on the wrong side of the flat part of the nut to do any good (wrong side of center). If it moves a little in with the hammer, it will most likely pull out easily.

·
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cut the pin with a die grinder and got the nut off.

I showed the engine to a guy who knows Wisconsin engines pretty well. He said that the rope starter/ v groove pulley was not original to that engine and that the roll pin was put in there as a drive pin.

Question answered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts