My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know where I can get a magnet and if can be replace. Flywheel magnet blew up

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I don't think you can buy the magnets. What engine is it, maybe someone has a flywheel you can use or rob a magnet off of. I would inspect the stator to be sure it wasn't damaged. be aware that the magnets on a flywheel are not all the same, the polarity alternates.
Cannon

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
You don't actually need all the magnets... if you are concerned about the charging system. You will get reduced output if you have 'gaps'. If you have chunks, segments, of the original magnet, you may be able to glue them to the inner diameter of the flywheel, back in/near their original positions. One concern would be the out-of-balance you may encounter.
You will have to examine the various identifications on the engine to determine a proper replacement or substitute. They may be on the rocker arm cover if an OHV B&S, on the shrouding if a Kohler, and various other spots on other brands. Magnet information is available by searching the web as to SN NS SN etc orientation around the flywheel. B&S had a PDF desdcribing (ALL?) their charging systems available.
tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts