My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I cut out a few new rubber floormats for my Wheelhorse A-100 last night. Everything was going great until I glued them down. I used "Loctite vinyl, fabric and plastic". I coated the underside of each mat and then pressed them down. When I pressed down, I noticed(from a little bit of the excess glue that was coming out around the edges) that the glue was actually eating the paint. Needless to say, it didn't look good since areas hadn't adhered after almost a day.

Half of one of the mats didn't adhere. I pulled it up just to see what it looked like. The glue had eaten all of the paint all the way down to the prime coat :banghead3

Other parts looked like they adhered, but I highly doubt they'll hold. I've debated whether or not to just drill holes and place small flat bolts with washers in or even plastic door panel screws. I don't really want to turn the floorboards into swiss cheese.

I'll probably end up having to pull the mats off, sand them with a wire brush and sand the floorboards and start again. Anyone have any recommendations for a good surface prep and a better glue?

As always,
:thanku:
 

·
Citizen of Earth
Joined
·
15,291 Posts
I've used silicone glue (RTV) with good results, and if that isn't what you want to do, you can try good old fashioned contact cement like they use on countertops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
I'd bet that contact cement would contain the same solvents as the Loctite he used. I think your other suggestion of using silicone to glue it down would be better; perhaps not super strong but it'd be reversible, at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,227 Posts
With fresh paint any glue might be a problem. I would use contact cement myself on foot boards but after the paint is cured.

The thing with contact cement is you better get it right the first time because it won't move once you make contact.

You can buy 3m peel in stick step treads. They work ok and it's easy.

That bed liner stuff might work good also. I think you can get little cans now.
 

·
15,000 +posts!
Joined
·
20,408 Posts
I saw "floor mats" listed on a can of Permatex "High Tack" gasket adhesive spray once under the list of uses for it,,and I had a K-5 Blazer with bare steel floors I was tired of having the rubber mat slide up under the gas pedal,so I tried that stuff,and I dont think an air chisel could have removed it after that stuff hardened up!..I think they sell that in brush top cans too..might eat fresh paint though,like any other solvent based adhesive or glue..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,051 Posts
If it were mine, I'd strip the floor boards (blast). Then use contact cement and mount the rubber mats. Mask them off (mats) and paint the exposed metal. No matter what glue you use they'll come up eventually. The glue needs a clean surface to adhear to, just like the paint does. If at all possible blast the back side of the mats too as to clean them also.

My brand new 4023's mats were lifting due to the same problem. It's gone now but this was something I was going to do myself if I kept the tractor.

MU
 

·
Wile E. Coyote
Joined
·
626 Posts
Personally I like the idea of the bed liner stuff. Not only will you not have to worry about it lifting off, but it won't rust either.

Pete
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys!!

Although I could see the paint coming up and peeling underneath initially, the rubber did eventually adhere after I left some weights on them for a few days. My girlfriend is a fashion design student, so she's much better at cutting clean shapes with clean lines. She did a great job on them so I was really dissapointed when it looked as though it wasn't going to work.

There's a few spots where there's "flex" but all and all, they don't move. It's a smaller tractor, not a lot of room to move, so I don't think their will be a lot of wear. If they do peel or move, I'll give it another go and will certainly use the suggestions you guys gave me.

My Wheelhorse is done, fresh paint, new tires, new seat and it looks sharp. I like the idea of posting a "done" thread so everyone can see it from start to finish. This all depends on if my brother and I can figure out the major electrical/wiring problem we're having. I'm also restoring a Sears SS/14. I just got the parts back rom media blasting and officially have NO room anywhere in the garage lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Here's what happened: The rubber mats are really adhering to the paint, not the steel. Since the adhesive you used was a solvent for the paint, there was no adhesion.

If you can repair the painted surfaces and remove all of the old adhesive from the mats, you can then use an adhesive that will not dissolve your paint. I'd suggest 3m Weatherstrip adhesive, available in yellow or black. This will work better than silicone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's what happened: The rubber mats are really adhering to the paint, not the steel. Since the adhesive you used was a solvent for the paint, there was no adhesion.

If you can repair the painted surfaces and remove all of the old adhesive from the mats, you can then use an adhesive that will not dissolve your paint. I'd suggest 3m Weatherstrip adhesive, available in yellow or black. This will work better than silicone.
This is good food for thought at the moment since I'm about to install new rubber floormats on another tractor. Thank you for the great advice :trink40:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top