My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Back in the 80's I picked up a MPV EZlift imported 3.5ton floor jack. It wasnt the best, but for a guy in his 20's without a ton of cash it was great. Well flash foward, and the old girl is toasted. The release wheel has had some broken teeth on it for years, and the pump part had a crack where it matched up tot he handle...so you had to mess with it once in a wile... well finly a year or so ago it started leaking down... and its just time. Hey... Over 20 years out of her was a good run!!!

Anyways.... Its time for a new one. I know there is many brands that are top end, and I SHOULD buy only that brand.... but you know... thats not going to happen. I need a nice solid 3.5 ton floor jack. Not a ton of cash, but not tin junk either. Whats out there on the market thats OK, for not too much more then a hundred spot?

Any ideas???

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
I guess if you don't want to spen a bunch of money Harbor Frieght woul be a good place to look. I bought one of their aluminum low profilt racing jacks in 2005 and I had my first problem with it this past week. A snap ring broke thad holds the front wheels on. A trip to the hardware store fixed that. I use it on all 3 of my vehicles for maintenance and tire rotation. The steel jacks are cheaper.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Most of the cheap floor jacks the wheel are too small. I had a Hiner-Warner 1 1/4 ton for years till it started leaking. Bought a $78 Mitchlin for Sam's Club I think it's a 3 ton, slow takes for ever to pump it up, smaller wheels than the 1 1/4 ton, the handle will not lean back over the jack only goes up about 80 degrees, have to lock the pump to keep the handle up. Need to rebuild my 1 1/4 ton it's a lot better jack.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess if you don't want to spen a bunch of money Harbor Frieght woul be a good place to look. I bought one of their aluminum low profilt racing jacks in 2005 and I had my first problem with it this past week. A snap ring broke thad holds the front wheels on. A trip to the hardware store fixed that. I use it on all 3 of my vehicles for maintenance and tire rotation. The steel jacks are cheaper.
The wheels are held on by a snap ring?

I have an old small tonnage one that's a little too small, so I am interested in this thread. I will be buying a newer larger one, cause it won't lift the 3/4 ton high enough during tire changes. I have to block under or on top of it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a craftsman 3 1/2 ton that I have been using for the last 20 years with no problem, But my next one will be from Advance Auto store.

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
The wheels are held on by a snap ring?

I have an old small tonnage one that's a little too small, so I am interested in this thread. I will be buying a newer larger one, cause it won't lift the 3/4 ton high enough during tire changes. I have to block under or on top of it.
The front wheels are, maybe the back ones too. I never looked. It will lift my F150 4X4 high enough to rotate the tires.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I bought a HF 4 ton last year, have been very pleased with it. I left the quad cab Dodge on it awhile back all night with jack stands under it, they were a 1'4" within reaching the rear axle, it was still at the same height the next morning when i went back to the shop.

Ronnie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts