My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Craftsman Professional 3.5 ton floor jack I got with a set of stands about 9 years ago. I love them both. This past week end I striped the frame on my F150 and re-undercoated it. When it was time to remove the jack stands and set the truck back down on the tires, the jack would not lift the truck up enough to release the stands. It started leaking a little bit. Now it wont lift up to the max height, I had to add some blocking to decrease the lift travel and allow the jack to work. Since then I've read many online reviews and comments in forums about how poor the Craftsman jacks are. They are made in China, the seals leak but are not easily available, and many would not recommend them as they only seem to get 0-2 years out of them. This makes me hesitant of buying another. Just wondering what others have had good luck with? I need a jack this weekend to change a half axle in my F150. Im thinking I'll buy a new one and look into fixing my Craftsman later as many times I've wished I had two floor jacks.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
They are throwaways, in my book.
That said, it's probably just low on oil. There should be a small plug, probably rubber, in the side of the cylinder. Fill it with hydraulic oil with the piston retracted. Depending on the severity of the leak, you may have to add oil periodically.
You are already aware of the need for jackstands - and this is one reason why! Just pointing it out for others reading this thread.

Of course, this is the perfect excuse to buy that second jack! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Im looking into an Omega with a set of two more stands. In the meantime I was thinking about cleaning it up and checking/adding some oil, after reading your post you've convinced me. It would be nice if that would buy some time, then I could just stick the Omega combo on my Christmas list ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts