My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I missing something using the "float mode" on my 47" blower?

It seems when dropping the blower down, many times it lifts the front wheels off
the ground.

What's the best way to engage the float mode??

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
You are not engagi ng float. Push harder you will feel a click and the blower will drop down with no down pressure.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The lever if the systems is like my 140 when pushed away from you will go from its center hold position through the down force position past a detent and will be in float . The lever should stay forward in float until you pull it back .

If you lift your blower and when ready lower it and smoothly push forward into float and let the skid shoes handle the height you set them for. So my take on it is that your either raising or floating when operating either a blade or a blower. Some conditions might require a bit of down pressure to scrape off packed snow but to much and you lift the weight off the front wheels and lose steering .

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
And also you may have it hooked up to the wrong lever. Only one lever has a Float position. Usually the inside one. It is all the way forward and should feel it go into the detent and the handle stay forward while in the Float position, like the others said. :fing32:

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Float mode was on the bottom lever on my X585. slkpk

·
Registered
501 Posts
The float position is the up/down lever, pushed all the way forward. Their is a indent pin to hold the lever in that forward position.:trink40: I cant remember if its the top or bottom lever, as long as the cylinders are hooked up correctly in color, it will be the up/down lever.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,103 Posts
Assuming you've hooked your hoses to the color matched SCV outlets, it will be the lower lever. Here is a picture with the lower lever in float mode, which as has already been stated, is an extra push forward past the down position of the lever.

The lever will stay forward when you have it in float mode, owing to a detent in the SCV piston that is held by two small spring loaded ball bearings that push in behind the detent, which looks like a compression fitting on the piston. (all of which is hidden behind the small cover on the end of one of the SCV pistons until you take it apart to see how it works, or in my case, in a failed attempt to fix something.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow, am I glad this topic came up. I have yet to use the 47" blower on my '99 455 but have been really wondering about the "float" position.

After reading Lou's "You are not engaging float. Push harder you will feel a click and the blower will drop down with no down pressure" I had to rush outside and try that. Son-of-a-gun! Now the manual makes sense!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow, am I glad this topic came up. I have yet to use the 47" blower on my '99 455 but have been really wondering about the "float" position.

After reading Lou's "You are not engaging float. Push harder you will feel a click and the blower will drop down with no down pressure" I had to rush outside and try that. Son-of-a-gun! Now the manual makes sense!

Exactly the same post! 455 with never used 47" blower here too!
Always something to learn from this forum.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Always something to learn from this forum.
Indeed, fruch, and I couldn't agree more about this forum.

Actually, there are 2 things that this forum does for me - I learn A LOT from lots of nice, nice people. And I get encouraged TO SPEND MONEY! Now I'm looking at a CTC FEL 'cause I need to turn some lawn space into gravel driveway space (anything to justify a new toy).

Oh, and another thing about this site - when my wife wanders over to see what I'm doing on the computer she always laughs when she see this, and says "well, I guess I don't have to worry about your midlife crisis when you spend your time talking about tractors" :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
She just hasn't seen the curves on the new models!! :ROF
Yeah, and don't let her catch you looking at some of the pics on MTF of the topless models! :fing32:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Thanks! That's what I love about this forum... a piece of wisdom shared 7 years ago, but just as relevant and accurate today. I couldn't figure out how to get the 47" snowblower on my new JD X739 into float mode, so after reading this thread I went out and pushed harder on that lever. That did the trick!

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
When I first started working on the old 300 series mowers I didn't know anything about them. When I encountered the float position on a 332 I was redoing I thought it was a sticky lever. I tried everything to get it to stop sticking. Finally, I read the old decal on the foot panel and there the answer was!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.