My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 JD112. Is the frame and axle the same as a pre-'68

Could I (if I obtain all the parts) convert this to a RF Tractor? I just like the looks of it and have seen some of the fenders and stuff available.

I know I would need seat, seat spring, foot boards and other stuff, but I don't want to go getting everything and then find they won't attach.

I don't want to modify the frame, so I'm just wondering if it is compatible? :thanku:

BTW, tried to do a search and didn't find anything that addressed this as it's own thread, so sorry if it has been discussed within another thread. :trink40:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Alan.....If you can think it,you can make it......I would say yes because most of the fenders are just bolted to the framework......Which means all you have to do is drill a couple of holes.........John........:fing32: :fing32: :fing32::trink39:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am hopeing he ment round fender.........John........

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
RF = Round fender :)

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
Alan, your friend here is going to be the JD On-Line Parts catalog, at

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Find YOUR serial number of 112, locate the part numbers for major parts you'll be KEEPING (like frame members etc) and then use the "Where Used" search to see if they are common across the model lines...

The big thing that I KNOW is common is the transaxle... Also the rims, the spindles, etc... Some models of RF had WELDED on footwells (like the '67, the one I'm restoring, but not the '66). I'd be a bit worried about there being a difference in the frame, because I'm told the SF 110s and 112s have longer hoods than the RFs...

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
What the heck is an "RF" tractor?
John Deere Round Fender

John Deere Square Fender or Fender deck Model

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
340 Posts
:fing32: There is a pair on rf from a 110 on ebay right now........vintage mowers ebay.......John...........:fing32: :fing32: :trink39:

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
You'll be $$$ and headaches ahead if you just find a RF 112 with a blown engine and swap your engine over.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
You'll be $$$ and headaches ahead if you just find a RF 112 with a blown engine and swap your engine over.
IF the engine swaps, mind you... One of the things I heard very early on when I was starting to poke around at the 112H RF I'm restoring is that the engines in the 112s particularly are pretty model-specific... IE, if you HAVE a 112 RF, you need to put the 10 HP Tecumseh back in, there isn't a repower available that fits... Then again, it all depends on what you mean by "fits", as I've now seen 110 RFs where they've taken a newer engine and dropped it in, then had to do some significant modification to the electrical and ignition systems to make them go....

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
The frame is NOT the same. The dash tower is not the same. The hood & grille supports are not the same. The hood is not the same. The seat post & seats are not the same. The gas tank and engine are, the PTO set up is not. The grilles are not the same.

By the time you get a RF fenders, seat and post, hood, grille grille supports, dash tower, etc, you will have purchased a round fender 110, then you will have a flat fender 110 to get rid of.

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I should have been a little more specific. I am only considering converting the rear section. Hood and all up front is fine, everything forward of the dash tower will remain as is.

I might see where I can get on that set of rear fenders on ebay.

I just wanted to make sure that I would be able to with very little modification, and be able to take it back to stock if need be.

I guess that that fenders and foot-boards go onto the frame, so that would be minor if the bolt holes aren't there.

My main concern is will the seat spring have anything to attach to? I haven't even been able to get to taking the current seat pan off to see what is under there.

Thanks for all the replies!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Alan I know a guy who did the round fenders,pan seat and running board's on to a 140 it look's OK but it is a cob job. BILL

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alan I know a guy who did the round fenders,pan seat and running board's on to a 140 it look's OK but it is a cob job. BILL
Any chance you can get a few pics?:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Alan I would if I could he had that one and another 140 and he sold them both when he bought a newer model JD because the wife wouldn't mow grass with the old 140's and I have no idea where they ended up. When I see him I will ask if he has any pictures but it is a long shot. I got his 54 blade a freebie he had it given to him and never used it. BILL

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
You're right LTG. I missed where he said it was a 72 so no more Tecumseh.

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's right, it's a Kohler K301AS, 12 HP. Same basic engine as my '70 Wheelhorse. I am surprised that the '72 JD has points type ignition, since my 'Horse has breakerless. Oh, well, we forge on!

Thanks :thanku: for the link LTG!! I've been following your thread on your grandfather's RF. Hope all works out well for you on that.

My Wheel Horse was my dad's, he bought it less than a year after I was born, so it's never leaving me. She still runs and cuts grass.

The plan is to get this deere going and operational, then do a full restification on the Horse, then the Deere gets the works as well, with possible mods if I find this conversion will work as planned.:howdy:

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
drat!! I missed out on the pair of Round Fenders on ebay, dern things went cheap at $40 for the pair.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts