My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My Dad, former POW ...
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 22.5 HP M-F GC 2310. I need to get some kind of mower to keep about 3 - 4 acres mowed. I looked at a Finish Mower and I believe that would work as the land is flat with only grass and weeds present - no saplings, etc. A Flail Mower come up for sale and the price seems right but I don't know how it would perform as I have no experience with this kind of mowing. It is a 6' mower and I understand the HP requirements are higher than a rotary mower. Might anyone have any recommendations? THX!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a NH TC30 (24 PTO HP) and a 6ft flail mower. The mower works OK with my tractor if I don't let the grass get too high, but a 5ft mower would be better suited to the tractor. I expect that my 6ft mower would work better with 40 hp or about that, but at slower speeds I can cut 4ft high fescue.

PRO- the flail is not as likely to throw objects, I have never seen mine throw anything more than 2 ft from the mower. It also seems a little more tolerant of rocks etc, makes a heck of a noise but never any visible damage bent blades etc. Will completely demolish a multflora rose bush :cool: . Often much cheaper to buy used than a comparable finish mower.

CON- as stated needs much more power than a rotary mower. More difficult to remove wire, rope, string etc. if it gets caught up in the blades. Mine is HEAVY, compared to a 6ft finish mower. Blades cost a lot when you eventually need them.

I bought mine well used, and am happy with it considering the price and what I use it for.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Keep in mind that rotary, finish, and flail mowers are three different implements.

As far as HP requirements, I am not sure, but I can offer a couple of opinions.

With 22.5 HP, I am sure you could run a rotary mower, just keep your ground speed down in heavier material. I would not run a larger mower than 4ft with 22.5 HP and I would think twice about getting into saplings any larger than 2 in. as well.

With a finish mower, I have 27 HP at the PTO and run a 5 ft. mower with not problem on lawn grass. Grass any higher than about 6 in. max. and I begin to have problems with the mower clogging up and the engine begins to bog down a little. With your machine, I am not sure of the size to run. There are others here far more qualified to answer that question.

A flail mower, I have experience with at all. All I know is that our highway crews run two of them on their machines cutting grass up to 2 to 3 ft. high. I do not know the HP of the tractors. I would guess around 40 HP though. They run a 6 or 8 ft. mower on the rear with another 6 or 8 ft. mower on the side of the machine as well. They do a fantastic job, but that is all that I know.

I hope that helps a little.

·
My Dad, former POW ...
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts