My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a Gravely flail mower for the first time yesterday and it was a animal. It was motoring thru 2 ft grass on a really uneven field. I found it for a friend of mine who was looking to cut this field every couple months. I have never seen a bigger smile on his face when he saw how the mower worked.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That's great! That's another testimonial for the flail!

How about some pics?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, i'd love to see some pics of this thing....wonder how hard it would be to make one using the parts and frame from one of the power brooms? I've been thinking about this, but I really don't know what would all be involved...I've never even saw one of the power brooms first hand.

Matt

·
Registered
172 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, as I have never heard of a flail mower. I googled it but I kept getting photos of the top side of the mower and am more interested in how it works. It sounds as though this works on the same principle as a flail for clearing land mines, which is something I am much more familiar with. Looking forward to the photos!!!

Andy

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread (or maybe I should start a new one), but am in the market for a new mowing deck and am being drawn to the flail. I would need a gas powered tow behind for either my garden tractor or ATV, so am wondering folk's opinion on a tow behind vs. the more common PTO powered unit used by bigger tractors. From what I've read it might be a good fit for my mostly flat 5-acres of thigh-deep grass and thistle. My concern is about the occasional bald-head rock sticking up and how the flail mower will react to a direct hit. I've done a decent job removing or marking most of the bald-heads, but every now and then I miss one or my marker has disappeared and wham, I'm in the shop fixing the mandrel on my mowing deck.

·
Super Moderator
32,637 Posts
I ran one as a kid on a Farmall cub, other than having to sharpen blades after a major rock strike I never had an issue with it around rocks. Heres a link to a discussion on Yesterdays Tractors regarding flail mowers and rocks:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts