My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of air dried walnut that I've never used for anything. So, I'm thinking about making some flag boxes out of it. You know the triangle shaped display boxes for memorial flags. Well, the expensive part is going to be the glass. Triple strength glass isn't cheap but it is less likely to break than single strength. I'm wondering if acrylic would be a suitable substitute. I know that it will yellow if left in the sunlight over time, right?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
LD I'll try to get a picture of mine and send you a copy. The triangle is made to hold a no.6 flag. The bottom is usally divided into three sections enough to hold a small engraved plak to show duty stations, one to show name rank or rate,and one to hold ribbons. Hope this helps.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have several plans off of the internet, but enjoy seeing the different variations. Do you have any thoughts about the glass?

The cost of the glass for one box wouldn't be too bad. I had an idea to make some to donate, though. I'm afraid the cost of thriple strength would kill the project.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Greetings sir . Have you considered using polycarbonite , it's almost unbreakable . I'm not sure how it compares in price to the special glass your refering to but I have seen it in various thicknesses in my local Lowes & Home depot .

Mike

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I built the one my dads flag is displayed in, nearly 30 years ago. I just used standard window glass and it's. been fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts