My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
was skeptical at first about the primer the JD dealer sold me, but for 6 bucks a quart, not bad.

·
*RIP SLAM*
61 Posts
Nice job, that looks sharp!!! After you primed it, did you sand it down at all with fine grit sand paper before you painted it?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Excellent Job !! :fing32::fing32:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ rabbit,
had parts sand blasted, then da with 80 grit to "level out some pits" wiped down with wax & grease remover, primed, blocked it down with 1000, primed again to fill in some remaining pits, blocked it, wiped it and layed on the paint. the paint from jd called for a 10 part paint to 1 part thinner, which i thought was a little thick, so i went 8 part to 2 part thinner with about 2 part hardner and it layed down nice, in which i still thought was a little heavy but once it dried it had good durable feel with a **** of a shine!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
FYI I use a felt auto touch up pen ( silver in this case) to restore the grill emblems and raised dash-board Icons.
The dash icons had NO paint left on Rusty when I got him.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Great job and lookin fine!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI I use a felt auto touch up pen ( silver in this case) to restore the grill emblems and raised dash-board Icons.

Thanks for that tip KATT, my dash panel looks pretty ratty, was going to buy new but i think I'll give it a try.:thanku:

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
I was doing some thinking on the dash panel on the 420 cause it was faded black but still had the white letters,I took a q tip and put a coating of vaseline on the white letters and sprayed it with gloss black paint,after the black dried wiped the vaseline off the letters and it was like new.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks awesome!! Did you spray in your garage? I don't see any overspray... Did you use HVLP?
yep, spryed in garage and yep got a little overspray even with the hvlp i used. got some on the tractor that will clean up but more work, the overspray that hits the floor you can just sweep and blow it out the garage. this is what happens when you forget to cover things up....

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

yo Katt, what about this ratty thing, your saying "silver" is the color for the dash icons right? need to replace the foam padding too, any idea where to look for that?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Check your model I think some were white. It's easy to know on the 160 through 185 because the shift and height adjustments were silver.
EZ PZ with a steady hand !! I use Meguires tire dressing on it 24 -36 hours before on the plastic ( needs to be dry before painting) you don't want to clean it after for a while.
I'm sure there are better methods out there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts