My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Of course you can fix it! Anyone can fix ANYTHING, given enough time and/or money! Now, is it actually WORTH fixing, is the real question. How much is a new OEM muffler vs repairing the existing one vs fabricating a new one vs just letting your existing one ride?
I was reviewing my thread and I'm not sure I ever answered your question, the OEM muffler new cost $500 + per muffler, so for my two 322's it'd be over $1000 to replace with OEM. It doesn't make any sense they cost that much, they just do. Guy on ebay has one that needs repaired for sale for $229, and it has the roached area that I show as the normal breaks, no telling how much internal damage is there too. So used isn't normally a viable option on them. This is the reason for investigating the feasibility to fix these.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I thought that just the challenge was a good enough reason...but the money aspect does add to the equaion
Yep, when I went online to see what a new one cost I couldn't believe it. Within the last month JD no longer shows the price on the muffler for the 322 or 332, just a "Contact your dealer for price", notice.

·
4,858 Posts
Yep, when I went online to see what a new one cost I couldn't believe it. Within the last month JD no longer shows the price on the muffler for the 322 or 332, just a "Contact your dealer for price", notice.
Anything about bringing your first born when you go to pick it up? 😁

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
OK so interesting things in my muffler world. I needed to see how much space was available on the side panels for the exhaust so I head out and grab a pic of the 322 I bought in January and it seems pipe size was a bit larger. So I went back and grabbed the 1" tube I bought for the muffler and here is what I saw:

Well I know I have the right pipe size as the muffler I tore apart had 1" OD exhaust, so I go check my long time 322 and this is what I got:

Apparently the 322 from NY had it's muffler replaced with a 332 muffler! So as I get to rebuild these I will have the differences between 322 and 332 mufflers available. As you can see I've started work with the tubing so here is where I got:

I'm not overtly worried about the kink as even the stock muffler I tore apart had one. I don't think it'll affect it at all. The best I could get though was the pipe at the end is about 1/2 inch beyond the one I tore down. I don't think it'll hit the panel on the 322 once mounted.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
WOW!! Yeah I'd be repairing them, too!
Well hoping to be ready to test one in about 2 weeks, I'm waiting for some blades to come in so I can cut the metal templates (scroll saw). After that I should be forming the bottom and both baffles and ready to weld it up and try it out.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I have the 322 and the exhaust on a 322 is a 1" exhaust, I bought a machine in NY in January that has the 332 muffler which is larger, either 1 1/4 or 1 3/8" (haven't measured it yet). The Diesel definitely has the larger exhaust!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the 322 and the exhaust on a 322 is a 1" exhaust, I bought a machine in NY in January that has the 332 muffler which is larger, either 1 1/4 or 1 3/8" (haven't measured it yet). The Diesel definitely has the larger exhaust!
I assume you are going to re-use the old manifold flange and pipe. Do you know what size that pipe is?

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yes will be reutilizing as much of the original as possible. I'm making an "insert" to go back inside and then will weld around it. Hoping to eliminate the failure point of the originals if I can. I haven't measured the flange or the pipe to the can since I don't need to replace those.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Well first attempt at using my press to form the template was a no go, going to have to see about doing it a different way, I'd already tried the fornier hammers and the result was better than this but still not sufficient for a good baffle:

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,885 Posts
Were you trying to form a lip around the edge, you might need to cut some relief lines like when doing rounds.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yes, but trying to match the originals, I agree I may need to do more relief than they did. I can always weld them up afterwards. I may take some 1/2 inch steel that I have and get a shop to plasma cut a form out for me. Might cost a few bucks but I think the result would probably be worth it.

·
Three of my friends
8,801 Posts
You need a 2 piece die,you might try using a piece of oak wood and cut it out a tad bigger than what you are using for the inside and use grease on the outside piece but it’s gonna wrinkle,the probably used soft metal and heat treated it later.
I built dies for Boeing but for that it would a male die bolted to the bed of the press and the press had hard rubber on the top,500 thousand pound press.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,885 Posts
I agree with biker3777 on getting a 2 piece die made for stamping the internal baffles and ends out.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts