My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an extra muffler on eBay figuring that it wasn't good due to the price, but looked good enough that if I can fix it this might be something members would like to see done. Well it came yesterday and when I shook it there were a lot of loose metal parts inside. Also the end where the exhaust comes out of the can has cracks (very common for these) so those would need fixed anyways.

Here's what it looks like inside:

the normal cracks found in them:

Amazing amount of internal damage to this:

But not everything is bad:

I've ordered some material for in it but need to figure out how to repair the internal damage on this. I was surprised by all the loose pieces and what looks like "explosive" damage.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Of course you can fix it! Anyone can fix ANYTHING, given enough time and/or money! Now, is it actually WORTH fixing, is the real question. How much is a new OEM muffler vs repairing the existing one vs fabricating a new one vs just letting your existing one ride?

·
4,858 Posts
If it is beyond using I think ebay has some buyer protection...I tried fixing a muffler off of a Kohler and all I did was burned more holes in it..that was with a stick using 110 and low amps....you may do better with mig.....that seal is made by rolling and crimping...it is incredible the things you can do with steel...as documented in that video you posted the link for

·
Three of my friends
8,801 Posts
Tim,that is done by crimping the outside part,most likely the crimp was started before the piece on the right it snapped into the crimp and then the crimp is finished ,creating the seal you see.
Looks like you got a job there.

Attachments

·
Three of my friends
8,801 Posts
I doubt that is steel,suspect from color,inconel.
Description
Inconel Alloy 625 is a nickel-based superalloy that possesses high strength properties and resistance to elevated temperatures. It also demonstrates remarkable protection against corrosion and oxidation.

·
Three of my friends
8,801 Posts
That inside picture looked like inconel

·
Registered
697 Posts
That looks to me like a design template for a ground up build.
Wonder if yanmar went to that expense for these?
IMHO - if it were inconel, you wouldn't need to rebuild it.

·
Three of my friends
8,801 Posts
Yea you could be right,it’s very expensive and like Tim said Yanmar would not spend that kind o money

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yea you could be right,it’s very expensive and like Tim said Yanmar would not spend that kind o money
Maybe try a magnet on it, most inconel alloys have reduced magnetic properties.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,413 Posts
This picture is for Ellis, what tooling would be used to create a seal like this?

View attachment 2453628
Not exactly in my wheelhouse, Tim. That's more metal forming/rolling. I have fabricated short versions of that seam with a vise, anvil, and hammers. A bit tedious, but doable.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not exactly in my wheelhouse, Tim. That's more metal forming/rolling. I have fabricated short versions of that seam with a vise, anvil, and hammers. A bit tedious, but doable.
Thanks, I figure you work with steel professionally and maybe you'd know what tool they use. But I hadn't tried those keywords so maybe that will help me.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Tim, take a look at this. Muffler Build I have been hanging on to this to build for one of my Ariens. Just as soon as I get it running,:eek: which should be any day, week, month or whatever timeframe Ellis uses on his projects!o_O
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tim, take a look at this. Muffler Build I have been hanging on to this to build for one of my Ariens. Just as soon as I get it running,:eek: which should be any day, week, month or whatever timeframe Ellis uses on his projects!o_O
MikeC
Mike thanks, I sort of was wondering if conduit wouldn't make a good choice for the interior piping. I like how he said get out and mow before you get the "the look"! :)

I've been doing a lot of reading on muffler design and this one seems to incorporate a combination of reflective and absorption types in it. The odd thing is the number of caps that seem dislodged from this one don't support any design I've seen yet. Trying to see if I can find the materials needed at reasonable prices. I may use "expanded" steel to replace the perforated steel. It's only an experiment at this point and I don't want to sink more than I have to into it.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I think this is the internal layout of the muffler (I don't have intake and exhaust pipes bent at angles) the red dots indicate caps on areas where pipe could be routed (so that orientation wasn't a big issue when assembling things) center chamber was sealed, other two had perforated steel into absorption material. Not sure if they have holes drilled into the exhaust pipes to allow flow from the center and lower chamber, but will probably find that out today.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So to update the Muffler has 4 holes around the bottom plate of the center chamber (blue) to allow exhaust gases back into the center chamber, so this cap arrangement (red) would work.

I lifted the perforated steel from the end of the muffler to see how things are placed. The side supports on the exhaust hit a weld for the ring inside and create the cracks, there must be some stress on them. Haven't quite figured out how to solve this issue yet as the perforated steel is tightly wrapped around the exhaust pipe and is at least tack welded in one spot.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found the perforated steel mesh at a much more reasonable price. I have the sheet metal needed for the middle band, the absorption material should be here today, just need to figure out how to make the plates and the end and I should be able to fabricate a replacement for the interior components. Since my fab skills aren't the greatest it will be a trial and error filled process I'm sure.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So here are the last of the "destructive" testing pics on the muffler I got for this purpose. As we've all probably seen the cracks around the pipe where the strengtheners are placed is almost universal. You can see the rust on these clearly and once I cut the welded seams it only took minimal force to have these come off since they were already cracked. Note the design of the bottom of the muffler with the reinforcing ring, I think that just added to the issue. Now these last for 10 - 15 years no problem sometimes so can't say defective, but the design is going to make it crack after so much use.

Anyone need a slightly leaking 322 muffler?

Hopefully will be starting the fabrication of parts to replace these next week!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts