My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note to anyone that has a Auto Gear Cub ---- 2130 - 2160 etc.

I just fixed my 2160 clutch by installing 2 thin washers ($6) and it runs like new in all gears now ( before I had one gear that would work to climb all the hills in my yard )

The fix was super easy and took me 20 min. ( now that I know how I bet I could do in 10 )

You need the washers ( p/n 936-3126 etc. ) I only needed 2 of the 3126 (.005 thick) - they come in diffferent thicknesses.

Then remove rear fender - 4 bolts - lift off gas tank - you will see a plate and 3 bolts facing you (toward rear of tractor) - remove the 3 bolts - you will see a bearing - remove and put washers in and slide bearing back on - The spec for the distance from the outside of bearing to the plate should be .002 -.007 but all I had were the 936-3126 .005 washers and guessed at 2 and it worked.

Saved me hundreds of $ and just completed 4th cut of my 2 acres - Cub running perfect!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Great write-up! That makes the AG equipped GTs sound a heck of a lot more desirable IMO. Sounds a lot easier than I thought, based on what I've read over the years on them.

Joel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joel,

Thanks! The AG system was kind of dumb but if you keep that pedal mashed down the clutches will not wear and should last the life of the mower - the fact that I only needed 2 of the thinnest shim washers tells me that there is plenty of material left on the disc's ( I have a new replacement set but hope I don't need! ) - I'm just happy I don't have to spring the $ for a new tractor as the ones I see now are not anywhere as sturdy and HD as the 2160 and especially the deck - the things a tank and the deck has been run into the trees in my yard more times then I like to admit and is undamaged - the new decks I see would not last a season in my yard!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good info. I also have 2160. Have you ever replaced the starter, mine just eat the plastic gear. better watch yours. I have 638 Hrs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2130 and need to shim the clutch. Can you explain more where this three bolt cover is? See attached image of my tractor.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,301 Posts
the plate is on the rear of the housing where the black breather hose comes out from. (Other side of the input shaft/fan).. Just take 3 bolts off and install your (clean!) washer(s) and reinstall cover and test to make sure the thing isn't shimmed too much which would cause clutch stickage..

·
Registered
21 Posts

So this housing here with the bolt on top? Do i need to remove the fan? Sorry for the newbness.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,301 Posts
yes- the bolt on to and the black hose coming out of it. The cover to remove is on the other side of the housing from the fan. (left of the hose in youor 2nd picture..) It's a small (~2-3" round) plate with 3 screws securing it. Do as instructed above and life will be great. :goodl:

·
Registered
490 Posts
If any of you guys with the Auto Gear setup need parts I think I'm going to have an organ donor soon. My girl friends sister has a 2160 with a very tired Briggs. It had a carb issue and was run for a couple years with the choke on full, now it looks like a mosquito fogger. The rest of the tractor is OK and the trans seems to work as it should. I'm probably going to part it out. I have a sweet 2165 that I'm going to sell her to replace it. PM me if you need anything.

Sam

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes- the bolt on to and the black hose coming out of it. The cover to remove is on the other side of the housing from the fan. (left of the hose in youor 2nd picture..) It's a small (~2-3" round) plate with 3 screws securing it. Do as instructed above and life will be great. :goodl:

There is no small cover left of the breather hose in my 2nd pic.... this is starting to drive me nuts! As you can see in pic 1.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There is no small cover left of the breather hose in my 2nd pic.... this is starting to drive me nuts! As you can see in pic 1.
I was thinking the same thing. I couldn't see anything like that in your pics. Maybe poke around online for a service manual for your machine. I'm wondering if you can uncouple the unit from the driveshaft and pull the that finned cylindrical part off to access.

Joel

·
Registered
490 Posts
This is from the Cub parts web site, looks like 2130 Tractor S/N 326,006 & Up, 13B-212F100, 136-212F100, 13A-212F100 do not have a removable rear cover. See parts breakdown for the 2130 & 2160

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking! Just great...Anyone have experience taking apart this clutch? Doesn't look super complicated... Might be interested in a whole tranny Sam. PM me details.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the link igolf. Might need it.

Update: I ripped the clutch off the transaxle and split the cases. While I am in there should I shim the bottom clutch as well or only worry about the top?

Also what fluid recomendations do you have to put back in the cluctch as it pretty much all leaked out when I split it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts