My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fix for missing headlight lenses

Part One

1. Clean the area with something to remove wax, dirt and grease.
2. Tape off the area that the original lenses would set in.
3. Make a piece to fit in behind where the original lenses was

It seems that I cant load but 4 pix so look at the next few posts for the rest of the fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Re: Fix for missing headlight lenses

Part Two

4. Tape off whatever you use for a backing
5. Fill area with fiberglass gel. Don't worry if you have some small air pockets just fill them after removing.
6. Remove the piece you just made

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Part Three

7. Trim as much as possible from the edges with a box cutter
8. Sand the outside smooth and flush with opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Part Four

9. Fill in any small hales that were left from air bubbles with spot putty
10. Paint as you desire and attach with aquarium silicone/glue

I will post PIX of the finished job in the next few days but that is all for now

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Great thread and great job. Looking foward to the rest.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
So are you doing this to fill the contour back out, and not have headlights?

Seems like since you did the wire hardware grid you could have put a piece of clear plastic in the area in front of the bulb and then fiber glass the rest. Course, I'm not saying you didn't do it good. I believe it makes the hood look complete that way. Maybe you could drill a hole in it and add the clear plastic in place, and make it look like the head light lens on a Corvette, the magnifying lens effect.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only used the wire for a backing so I didn't have to fill the whole thing up. The wire is easy to form to fit in the lense opening and I had a roll just sitting in the outbuilding. I didn't fill the whole thing up so I could save weight on the plastic grill. If you noticed I taped over the wire so the glass wood not bond to it. The way I am doing this I will be eliminating the lights because I will not be using them, but you are right, if anyone wanted to still have the lights just use a hole saw to cut some hole in the covers and epoxy a piece of plexiglas on the back side (great idea). I will be painting the covers blue chrome so they will look like blue tinted lenses at a distance and want the glass to setup for a couple of days before painting so there is no chance of cracking the paint when it completely cures.
As with anything I will be posting here please chime in with your ideas and add to this post if you want. It is for everyone that does not want to spend $80.00+shipping for new lenses. The whole thing cost me $12.99 not counting the things I already had (wire, tape, sandpaper, naphtha and shop towels) and about 3hrs labor not counting drying time. Everyone should understand though I have been doing bondo and glass work for about 18 years so if it takes you longer don't be surprised.
I am new here and to Murray Garden Tractors as-well, but just want to try and help everyone I can. I will be asking a lot of questions in the future that some may think everyone should no, but for this I can put what I no out to help anyone that is building a tractor on a budget.

BIG-O
Gary Owens

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
You do great work. I am impressed, and welcome to MTF.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I figured this wasn't your first fiberglass project lol. Noone here will give an attitude or "snicker" no matter the questions you have - so don't worry about that. We were all new at something at sometime. The fact that you want to jump right in and give to the forum instead of just take tells me you will fit in just right around here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I try to help any way I can, that is what we are all here for. Hay on the great side I just got a brinly plow for $45.00 on CL. Just got to get the sleeve hitch, cultivator and disk now.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
YEARS ago I repaired a tail light lens with a product called Liquid Lens. If they still make it, I suppose you could take this a couple steps farther, create a mold and pour a "new" lens. Would be an interesting experiment. Great job with the block outs though, looks great :thThumbsU

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Hey, I like the idea. I think it looks good. Besides, who mows at night?

Bob
Texans :sidelaugh:hide: I can get away with that cause I am Texas born and raised....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I will post a picture of the whole thing in a few days when everything has time to dry real good so I can wash all the dust off and put a little plastic restore on the grill so it wont look so faded from where I used the cleaner on it.

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Now all you really need is a decal like they use on the NASCAR front ends that looks alike headlights are on the grille.

But the Blue is nice looking. Think I'd paint it black. But they sure look factory anyway you look at it!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts