My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tire on my Polaris that every day, would be way down. Have to go pump it up before taking the grandson for a ride. At one time I put that green stuff in there and it held for a while but no more. I though, what do I have to lose? The tire is dry rotted and wouldnt hold air, so it already was shot. I took out the schrader valve and poured in about a pint of kerosene. Pumped the tire back up and had no more problems since then.

What do yall think, will my tire fall off one of these days?

·
2,823 Posts
That's a new one... I wonder if the kerosene re-activated the tire goo or thinned it out somehow so that it worked again.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a new one... I wonder if the kerosene re-activated the tire goo or thinned it out somehow so that it worked again.
I used to put on rubber roofs, on big flat roofed building. You had to clean the rubber with gasoline before gluing the seams together and on occasion, some gas spilled on the rubber sheet. It would distort and swell the rubber. I thought about that and thought it might swell the rubber in such a way to stop leaks. So far, it has! Kerosene has, that is.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,469 Posts
I wonder if that original leak was right at the edge of the original level of the slime. Hopefully over time the kerosene or it reacting with the slime doesn't have a negative effect on the tire. I used to carry a bottle of slime with me in my toolbox when I would go play in the dunes. You wouldn't think it would be possible to get a flat when running in nothing but sugar sand, but it happened to me a lot with paper thin paddle tires. Slime them and reinflate, good to go until the next puncture. Bead or sidewall leaking? No problem! remove tire/wheel assembly, apply slime, lay tire on the side that's leaking. They were just ATV tires on an underpowered quad, so if they failed I figured I probably wouldn't get hut too bad.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Still holding! I'm about to get brave enough to put some in the tractor lug type rear tire on my Suburban SS18. It wont hold air for more than a couple of days.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still holding! I'm about to get brave enough to put some in the tractor lug type rear tire on my Suburban SS18. It wont hold air for more than a couple of days.
I put it in the SS18 rear tires yesterday, they are holding air this morning.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In case anyone is interested, I have put kerosene in the tires of two garden tractors along with the 4 wheeler, and NONE have leaked at all since.

I will NEVER buy slime again.

·
Super Moderator
29,546 Posts
Interesting that the kerosene seams to have stopped the leaks. That fix is probably one of the cheapest I've heard about in a long time. Kudo's on testing this!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
In case anyone is interested, I have put kerosene in the tires of two garden tractors along with the 4 wheeler, and NONE have leaked at all since.

I will NEVER buy slime again.
Did you use slime in them all first? Whoops, didn’t see your last sentence.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,087 Posts
This may work --for awhile...but I've read it is bad ju-ju to put petroleum based products on rubber, and tires are rubber...it will soften & swell the rubber temporarily ,then it'll probably do one of two things,or both--turn the rubber into a gooey gum like substance,or dry it out and make it crack into nuggets..
But hey--if it turns out it does work,and lasts a long time--I'll try it myself!..

Better not have a cigarette in your mouth if you ever dismount those tires !..WHOOOF!..

I remember a late friend's dad put a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and water in some tractor tires to add weight many years ago,and I don't remember him having any issues..they may have had tubes though..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This may work --for awhile...but I've read it is bad ju-ju to put petroleum based products on rubber, and tires are rubber...it will soften & swell the rubber temporarily ,then it'll probably do one of two things,or both--turn the rubber into a gooey gum like substance,or dry it out and make it crack into nuggets..
But hey--if it turns out it does work,and lasts a long time--I'll try it myself!..

Better not have a cigarette in your mouth if you ever dismount those tires !..WHOOOF!..

I remember a late friend's dad put a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and water in some tractor tires to add weight many years ago,and I don't remember him having any issues..they may have had tubes though..
I am a veteran of mixing rubber with petroleum, having been a rubber roofer for years. I knew that gasoline would swell and distort rubber, but I didnt know how it would hold out over time. I first tried the kerosene on a tire that either had to have something done, or replace. IOW, I felt I had nothing to lose in trying it. That had to be 2 months ago and thus far, no problems, have not even had to pump the tire up again.

Time will tell.

·
Retired Deere Employee
527 Posts
Inner tubes fix dry rotted side walls. Does gasoline/kerosene?

·
15,000 +posts!
20,087 Posts
Tubes will allow you to get every last mile out of dry rotted tires,unfortunately most of the tires that are dry rotted bad enough to leak,do not survive having the bead broken to install a tube,they tend to just rip open..

I have used wheel bearing grease on all my tires as bead sealer since I was a kid,and have never had a tire fail because of the grease ,despite all I've read about how detrimental petroleum products are for rubber..

I've been tempted to try the liquid laundry starch in a slow leaking tire....right now everything I have with tires is holding air for months ,so I haven't bothered--I do not mind pumping them up once in a while,but when it gets to be a daily chore or has to be done every time you go to use the tractor,etc,it is aggravating..

I have a hand truck that has cheap 4" rims that have no "bead seat" on them,the rims are just "V" shaped and the tires are always low on air or flat as a flounder each time I go to use it...tubes would cure this,but the tires say "tubeless" right on them,so they shouldn't need tubes..
I recently let a friend borrow it ,he put a thick layer of bead sealer on the rims,and now the tires don't go completely flat,but still lose air..
I balk at paying $20 for 2 tubes,when Harbor Freight sells tires on rims for $3.99,that have the feature of being able to unbolt the two halves of the rim to change the tire or add a tube...if I used the hand truck daily ,that would be worth the investment,but I only use it once every month or two,if that..

·
Retired Deere Employee
527 Posts
My 216 rear tires were leaking thru the sidewalls. I broke the bead at home and installed tubes with no problem. I think that was two years ago. Still holding air.

I understand there are exceptions depending on the condition of the tire. Yes I have had tires that sat on flat tires for a number of years and they could not be saved. I don't leave tractors sitting on flat tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts