My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out to eat with some friends from church last night. The guys wife has mentioned several times for me to come get the dead mower out of their garage. I was waiting for him to say something and last night he did. I went and picked it up this morning. He said he cranked it last year but didn't mow with it, hasn't been cranked since. Tires are low, battery down to 3 amps, key broken off in switch and something has chewed the PTO knob off the switch. I've got the charger on the battery and will see after church if it's going to charge up. Anyone got a trick for getting the broken key out of the switch. Should be interesting, I've never owned a ZT.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Wow, wish I had friends like that...

Good luck on that new machine....heck the seat isn't even cracked!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is a nice machine. I have a similar one. It is a Z915B.

On mine, I had to replace the PTO switch. The safety circuit failed. They have updated the switch to a rocker switch. Probably due to problems with the push-pull.

I also changed the ignition switch as a precaution. It was not very expensive.

·
forkz
6,277 Posts
probly be easier to change switch nice machine

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to dig the key out of the switch and found that the key from my LX176 fit it. I went to the Deere dealer and bought a PTO switch and 3 filters, $72. I removed the gas line from the pump and drained the old gas out of it. I never could get the old battery to charge so I put a cheapo Walmart battery in it, changed the fuel filter, put fresh gas in it and cranked it up. The oil was on the add mark before I cranked it so after running it a few minutes I shut it off and drained the oil. Today I'll change the air and oil filters, put oil in it and see if it moves and mows alright. After changing the battery I checked the hours, 296.
Cannon

·
MTF Member
923 Posts
Nice of that lady to let you know about the mower....

istockphoto-971392786-612x612.jpg

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it running this morning and took it outside to see what it would do. There was a whine when I pushed the levers forward so I tried one lever at a time and both made the same noise. I looked under it but didn't see anything except the deck belt was running on the edge of the deck idler. The deck was way low in the front, I hope that's all that is. I went ahead and removed the deck for cleaning and sharpening the blades. I don't know my butt from third base when it comes to zero turns but is this the pump? It says Tuff Torq DUP10e and has a thing you screw out on each side that allows you to roll the mower. It won't go up a grade at all at full speed but will move a little if the handles are about half way forward. It acts like a lawn tractor with a bad hydro. If this is the pump what's at the wheels, just a hydraulic motor? The guy I got it from has a yard that's straight up and down, I guess he could have killed it in 300 hours.

Cannon

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
It might just be something simple:

Most hydro's will have a release lever/pin/screw, so the machine can be moved when the engine is off, but if the lever/pin/screw is left in this position, the hydro doesn't work properly when the engine is running (it doesn't damage the hydro, it just doesn't move the machine).

I don't know about the specifics of your machine, but the operators manual for it should have something about it.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did figure out how to get the pump bypassed to roll it. After some internet research this morn I figured out that the hydro filter is in the tank and should be replaced every 50 hours, I decided to pull it out and see what it looked like. It came all to pieces. I put my hand down in the tank and believe I got all the pieces. Looked up the part number, only $85. This Zero Turn stuff may not be for me, they seem to be a lot more expensive than tractors to operate. I did go to the Tuff Torq site and look up the pump (DUP10e) all the part seem to be out of stock.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove the Z645 to the shed last week so I could get something else in the garage. I went to get it yesterday and it would not start, starter would not engage. I put it in freewheel and rolled it to the garage. The solenoid is hard to get to but I was able to determine that power is getting to the solenoid through the purple wire. Next I ran a wire from the battery+ to the starter and it turned the engine. I thought the solenoid had gone bad but I remembered that Deere sometimes puts safeties in the ground from the solenoid. Test light showed that the green wire was not grounding, I moved the handles in and it was. But with the handles in the purple wire was not sending power. I ran a jumper wire from the solenoid ground to the battery - and it will start with the key. Now I need to get a wiring diagram and figure out what safeties are on the ground side of the start circuit. Google has not found a diagram so I may need to see if my Deere dealer will give me one.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
You might look at the online parts list for it, most of my equipment include wiring diagrams as part of the parts diagrams, but I don't have any JD stuff...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I found the problem. One of the screws that hold the brake safety
switch had broken out of the switch. This allowed the switch to rotate up away from the arm that depressed it.
I should have looked there first.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was a little surprised by the primitive emergency braking system. Reminds me of the Flintstones.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After getting the choke linkage straightened out yesterday I took the mower out and drove it some. The mower still didn't want to pull and there was a lot of squealing I thought was hydraulic whine but I could smell the belt. I got it back in the garage and removed the belt and noticed the bottoms of the V pulleys were shiny. I looked up the belt, it's supposed to be 1/2x59 but the belt (correct number) was only about 3/8 wide. I went to Tractor supply and got a $15 belt and put it on this morning. I took it outside and pushed handles forward and it took off faster than I wanted to go, The squeal is also gone. Now I need to man up and buy that $85 hydro filter.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the z645 to my son's house this morning and mowed with it. The mower made it without tearing up and I didn't run over anything. First yard I've mowed with a zero turn. I put the deck back on yesterday and ran into a problem leveling it front to back. It's supposed to be 1/8 to 1/4 lower in the front. When I started it was over an inch. With the back adjusted as low as it will go and the front as high as it will go the blade tip is 3/8 lower in the front. That's probably close enough but there's no future adjustment available. Maybe there's another adjustment I haven't found. My son's yard looked good except for the crooked lines.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I need to replace the pulleys on the crankshaft and pump because they are eating the belt up. UPS says they will be delivered today so I pulled the mower back to the garage and put it up on ramps so I can get under it. Thread about belt Eating belts
Cannon

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the drive pulley changed but couldn't get the one off the pump. It didn't have much rust on it so I put a 3 inch wire wheel in the drill and cleaned it up. Put a new belt on it and ran it about 5 minutes. One side of the belt look a little scuffed. The pump pulley was out of alignment front to back so I put flat washers under the pump mounting screws and got it a lot straighter. I took it to my sons and mowed about and hour the inspected the belt. It wasn't worn any that I could tell so I'm thinking it's better than it was. I believe this is all I'm going to do to it for a while. So to sum up, I got a free mower but it took just shy of $300 in parts to get it sorted out.
Thanks all.
Cannon

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
I got the drive pulley changed but couldn't get the one off the pump. It didn't have much rust on it so I put a 3 inch wire wheel in the drill and cleaned it up. Put a new belt on it and ran it about 5 minutes. One side of the belt look a little scuffed. The pump pulley was out of alignment front to back so I put flat washers under the pump mounting screws and got it a lot straighter. I took it to my sons and mowed about and hour the inspected the belt. It wasn't worn any that I could tell so I'm thinking it's better than it was. I believe this is all I'm going to do to it for a while. So to sum up, I got a free mower but it took just shy of $300 in parts to get it sorted out.
Thanks all.
Cannon
Still sounds like a great deal to me! Nice pickup of the ZT and posting everything you did!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know if anyone is interested in all I did or not. I do have a selfish reason for doing it, if I forget what all I did a year from now I can refresh my memory by reading through the thread. Coping with old age one post at a time.
Cannon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts