My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved into an old farmhouse on 5 acres last Sunday, took delivery of my 2400 on Monday and haven't been in the house since. My wife has been unpacking, painting, cleaning, etc and I have been Mowing, Clearing trees, raking gravel and mostly having fun on my new ride.

I have really put it through a pretty good road test and I wanted to share my thoughts with any potential buyers.

The Good:
Super comfortable: I am 6-1 and on the large side so the added room on the platform really makes getting in and out of the saddle easy.

Plenty of power:You will lose traction before you run out of steam in most cases. I did chain it to a monster section of fallen tree just to see where the limit was and it gave its best but couldn't budge a 30 inch round 9ft tree section that was stuck half into the ground (in case you plan on trying that one)

Good overall Quality: Hard to give specifics but everything seem legit, no half *** crap, everything is heavy duty and built to last.

General:Controls are all in the right spot (for me), Engine runs smooth and seems pretty simple to deal with, runs FOREVER on a full tank, I think it looks pretty good as well.

The not so good:

If you don't have a FLAT, LEVEL, SMOOTH place to mount/un-mount the MMM or the FEL pour yourself a concrete pad or be ready to curse up a storm. This may be the case for all CUTs but it is for sure with this one.

The Hydro hoses for the FEL are in the worst imaginable location, granted I have chubby fingers but it is a real ***** getting them to lock in place. Maybe the quick connects will loosen up in time but right now the are stiff and tough to deal with.

Summary: I danced around with a few brands and I am happy with my MF. I even struggled with buying any tractor at all. After this week I can't image not having one.

If you are thinking Red buy with confidence you won't be disappointed:trink39:

·
22,779 Posts
I'm glad that you are enloying your new ride! I know that I really like my 2310.

The not so good:

If you don't have a FLAT, LEVEL, SMOOTH place to mount/un-mount the MMM or the FEL pour yourself a concrete pad or be ready to curse up a storm. This may be the case for all CUTs but it is for sure with this one.

The Hydro hoses for the FEL are in the worst imaginable location, granted I have chubby fingers but it is a real ***** getting them to lock in place. Maybe the quick connects will loosen up in time but right now the are stiff and tough to deal with.

Summary: I danced around with a few brands and I am happy with my MF. I even struggled with buying any tractor at all. After this week I can't image not having one.

If you are thinking Red buy with confidence you won't be disappointed:trink39:
I have to agree with you on the flat place to dismount the FEL. Try a back hoe, its even worse and my yard is pretty flat. At least with the FEL there is a chance to muscle it on, if you're not too far out of line, with the hoe you have to be pretty much dead on until you learn how to shift it around with the hydraulics. I think the same issues accompany any colour.

I don't know if you noticed that the hydraulic quick connects work both ways. When you disconnect, you pull on the ferrule and when you connect, you can push on the ferrule and have the same effect. I thought it was a great setup that makes it a lot easier plugging in the hoses with one hand instead of two.

Another tip is to keep a 1/2" bolt handy to insert into the female half to 'pop' the check valve and bleed off enough pressurized oil to make it easier to hook the hoses up. The sun will heat the cylinders and pressurize them enough that there is no way you can push the quick connects together without bleeding the pressure down. Keep a rag handy as well. Even a couple of drops of oil makes things hard to handle.

If you haven't already, and you plan on moving that 30" log, get the back tires loaded. I got mine loaded with RimGuard by the dealer as part of the purchase.

An easy way to get that log out of the ground is to scew an eyebolt (lagscew) into the side of it as close to the ground as possible and at the centre of the log and put the tractor on the other side to roll it out with a chain. You should be able to drag that log sideways once it rolls out of the depression, maybe even without loaded tires. Gotta love 4wd and diff lock.

Enjoy your ride, I sure enjoy mine!

Bob :rauch10:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob, Thank you for the info! I am new to hydraulics and I thought "there must be an easier way". I noticed a bit of oil pooling in the female end when I was fighting with the hose. I noticed this right after a popped the hood to get a better angle on the hose and rested my forearm on the super hot exhaust (that added to the cursing for sure). Does the 1/2 bolt depress the nipple thingy inside the connection?

The dealer threw in wheel weights but I may add the RimGuard as well. I will give the lag bolt trick a shot. I was thrown into a quick lesson in tree removal, our first night on the property a wicked storm ran through and dropped three 100+ year old trees on various locations. I was REALLY happy I had a tractor. A tree service wanted big bucks and they couldn't get to it for about a month so I picked up a Stihl hopped on my tractor and figured it out. There were some scary moments for sure but I'm still alive and all the trees are in neat sections pulled to a remote area of the property until I can split and stack in the fall. Felt good to make use of my investment and get a little exercise to boot.

Thank you again for the reply and for the sage advice!

Jason

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
When you turn your tractor off make sure you depressurize the hydraulic system by moving your joy stick in all of the different directions. This will allow you to hook up your hydraulic hoses and disconnect much easier. slkpk

·
22,779 Posts
Bob, Thank you for the info! I am new to hydraulics and I thought "there must be an easier way". I noticed a bit of oil pooling in the female end when I was fighting with the hose. I noticed this right after a popped the hood to get a better angle on the hose and rested my forearm on the super hot exhaust (that added to the cursing for sure). Does the 1/2 bolt depress the nipple thingy inside the connection?

Thank you again for the reply and for the sage advice!

Jason
You insert the bolt into the coupling, wrap the rag around it, and bang the head of the bolt with the heal of your hand, a small hammer (lightly) or bang the bolt head against a solid surface and that will 'pop' the check (the little nipple thingy) and relieve the pressure. It's spring loaded to keep the oil from leaking out, the same as the male half on the tractor. As long as there is no pressure behind it, it moves pretty easy.

Slkpk is right for the tractor side of the connection. In fact it is a good habit to get into every time you park the tractor.

When you park it, have the bucket either down with the bottom flat to the ground, or, my preferred position, with the bucket botttom vertical and the cutting edge on the ground. The latter is a holdover from my MF1655 where I couldn't lift the hood high enough to boost it with the loader arms down too low. Try opening your hood with the bucket down flat.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
[QUOTE=TUDOR;1304901]You insert the bolt into the coupling, wrap the rag around it, and bang the head of the bolt with the heal of your hand, a small hammer (lightly) or bang the bolt head against a solid surface and that will 'pop' the check (the little nipple thingy) and relieve the pressure. It's spring loaded to keep the oil from leaking out, the same as the male half on the tractor. As long as there is no pressure behind it, it moves pretty easy.

Slkpk is right for the tractor side of the connection. In fact it is a good habit to get into every time you park the tractor.

When you park it, have the bucket either down with the bottom flat to the ground, or, my preferred position, with the bucket botttom vertical and the cutting edge on the ground. The latter is a holdover from my MF1655 where I couldn't lift the hood high enough to boost it with the loader arms down too low. Try opening your hood with the bucket down flat.

Bob :rauch10:[/QUOTE]

:ditto::ditto: I have had the same experience with mine. Very good advice about wrapping a cloth around the nipple thing. I laid mine down on concrete floor and put end in a coffee can and pushed down hard.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Sounds like you got the right machine! Those likes and dislikes are very similar to my experiences with the JD 2210.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been considering the GC2400 along with the Kubota 2360. I wonder if the MMM and FEL come off and go on easier on 'unlevel' ground on some other tractors? hmmmm?

·
22,779 Posts
I've been considering the GC2400 along with the Kubota 2360. I wonder if the MMM and FEL come off and go on easier on 'unlevel' ground on some other tractors? hmmmm?
I don't know about MMM's, but if your tractor is tilted one way and the FEL is tilted the other, I don't think it matters who made the equipment, it ain't going together! Unless, of course, your name is Paul Bunyan.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Level is the key for easy coupling/uncoupling. slkpk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts