My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I tried to mow with this mower and I am pleased. I started this project last Fall with an old 1950s Cunningham without an engine. I first tried fitting a Preditor 212 cc engine but it was just to big in size. Made it very hard to line belts up. Bought the smaller 99 cc Preditor on sale with a $20 off coupon and had the right sized engine got $79 plus tax. Used it for the first time todsy and I am very pleased with the way it works and the little motor has more than enough power. Roger

Attachments

·
Mowerholic
1,127 Posts
Very nice, how do you adjust the cut height? Looks like something they would use in a TX Chainsaw Massacre movie :fing32:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That's pretty cool, Roger. Is it gonna be your new daily driver? :sidelaugh But seriously, I assume there's a wheel or something keeping the blade at a constant height so it doesn't dig into the grass.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At each end of the sickle bar there is a sliding shoe that controls the height. You add washers/spacers until you are happy with what you have. They are kind of like the old tail skid on tail dragger airplanes. You can kind of see them on the ends of the bar pointing to the rear in this picture. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Last year I put the 212cc HF engine on an old Simplicity front tine tiller and have been very pleased with it. I'm thinking about getting the 99cc engine for an old Craftsman edger I have. The one on the tiller starts the first pull and is very quiet. Roger, did your engine come with the pulley for the belt? That same configuration you have is what I'll need for the edger. Thanks

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
That is a cool machine. Id like to have one but its probably very rare.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulley is from TSC. Mower didn't have an engine when I started so I guessed at the size. I can only run the engine at about 1/2 throttle where it mows the best. I am assuming the original engine that Cunningham built wasn't governed to turn the 3600 RPM that the new one does. Speaking of tillers this is my old Sears Heavy Duty 2 speed. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
That looks neat! I bet it works well for really high grass. Would love to test one out sometime!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Pretty darn neat looking contraption there, Roger. How much does it shake when everything is put into motion? Hope to hear more from about that Predator engine. I've heard a lot about the larger ones, but nothing about that smaller one you used.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cool!! I love it :fing32:

Thanks for sharing, you could convert it to a hedge height trimmer by putting bigger wheels on :kens:

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the engine at WOT it shakes a bit but with it running about 2400 RPM the shaking goes away. The small engine seems to be equal quality to the bigger ones. I think the biggest reason for not seeing the small ones is generally you can buy the 212ccs for the same money or less. I had a 212cc on it but it is wider than this 99cc and that led to belt alignment problems. The HF engines are always changing and the little one I have is now 79cc instead of 99cc but is rated at the same HP for both. I think this is all because of the Honda patent infringement legal problems the clones have run into. Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts