My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled my Regent out of the shed for the first time today since the end of November. Needless to say I had an issue.I changed the spark plugs, filter, and oil. Then I hooked up the battery, it was sitting on my work bench since November. When I turned the key, nothing, not even a click. So I brought the battery down to Advanced Auto, they tested it then recharged it. After the charge it tested good on their meter.Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem.

Here's what I'm observing:1. When I sit on the seat, the hour meter goes out. When I get up, it comes back on.2. I unhooked the safety under the seat, that helped keep the hour meter on, however, when I press the brake pedal before I turn the key, the hour meter goes out again, and of course I can't start the tractor. It doesn't even make a sound.

So, I think there must be something going on with the brake pedal and the electrical system. I am absolutely a novice when it comes to working on the electrical system. Any help would be appreciated, and the more you talk like I don't know what I'm doing, the better.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,629 Posts
Not seeing a diagram of the wireing for your machine--I'll speculate a couple things that you can try....All machinery is basic to this--

1. Go back to basics--do you have a test light and a Volt/amp meter? They are your biggest help-

2. If not--or even if you do, sounds like you have a bad/faulty connection, bad ground, or a safety switch not working.

3. Pull and clean every cable connection --from one end to the other--do one at a time. Pull every electrical conmnection apart at the juction--and spray with a good electronics cleaner. (available at auto parts stores/wally-world, etc.)

Good luck--remember--slow and easy--look at every wire as you handle it--you are going to find a broken/corroded, something out of whack-


glenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
So this thing was running in November and you just removed the battery for winter - right? I would look to see if there is a fuse in your starting circuit. Also, check all the wiring over to make sure some critter didn't chew things up. Remove any nests and debris that could catch fire.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top