My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Its the planning, and prep that gives you a trust worthy boat, and I know He has had his fights over the years!!right mike?

Nice run!! Glad it all came together for you, and you and the ladies got out for a nice summer night cruze, and made that canal trip! :fing32::drunkie:
Ok, for the record, my boating career hasn't been perfect, but it's been pretty good!

-One break down on a local lake. I had a fried stator and ignition pickup coil. I noticed the volt meter reading 18 volts and was thinking "this isn't good", but the engine was running fine and no smoke was coming from the engine cowl. We anchored up off the town beach for a swim and we saw a thunder storm approaching. I tried to restart the engine and no fire. We sat in the boat while the storm passed and I called my folks, they lived near bye, to give me a lift to get my truck and trailer to retrieve the boat off the beach. Then the trailer bunk let go and I had to jack the boat up and wedge a 2x4 under the hull and ratchet strap it down to get home without spearing the hull on a steel bracket. This maneuver required a quick ride home for a floor jack and lumber. My folks stayed with the boat while I ran home. I got the boat home safely and took it off the trailer on boat stands while I redid the trailer bunks, new tires, wiring and lighting.

-second, and last mishap, so far, is when I was boating with the wise guy I quoted above. We were retrieving the boat at a very shallow ramp. The winch cable was something I'd been meaning to replace because it was frayed and getting rusty. As soon as I looked down at the rusty cable it snapped at that exact spot! The boat was 1/2 way or so hi and dry on the trailer. Thankfully I had my friend Paul, and the tool box, to break the cable clips loose and move the hook back to some good cable and finished hauling the boat in. I replaced the cable the next day.

I've learned my lessons on both counts! The break down with the outboard was no fault of mine, things do let go now and then. The trailer issues were entirely my own, and will not happen again if I can help it! :D

·
16,824 Posts
You are doing great-Mike.
Love the pictures and the stories are funny, but very true, also.

glenn

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,222 Posts
That's awesome Mike, very happy you got to "make the run".

Funny stuff with you and Paul. Double edged sword with those type things. When it happens you're thankful your friends are there to help out. Then payment comes due..........slow......and over time :sidelaugh

Edit: when I clicked the 2nd photo, it didn't flip. Might want to get an admin to see if they can fix that :hide:

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,614 Posts
Mike, we had so much respect for you and now you blew it. :sidelaugh

I, on the other hand, never have boating mishaps...well, maybe just a few.

Years ago, a buddy and I had launched my bass boat in s local lake. Fished for several hours and then backed the trailer down the metal launch ramp to retrieve the boat. Somehow, I got the edge of the trailer stuck under the ramp and could not move it. What to do? I backed the boat off, turned it around and used the Anchor Mate to lift the ramp and free the trailer. That was when the brain was still functioning normally. I don't know if I would have thought of that today. :dunno:

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You are doing great-Mike.
Love the pictures and the stories are funny, but very true, also.

glenn
Thanks, Glenn!
That's awesome Mike, very happy you got to "make the run".

Funny stuff with you and Paul. Double edged sword with those type things. When it happens you're thankful your friends are there to help out. Then payment comes due..........slow......and over time :sidelaugh

Edit: when I clicked the 2nd photo, it didn't flip. Might want to get an admin to see if they can fix that :hide:
Yet another wise guy!:)
I just fired up the old PC (Windows) in the corner to fix the photo. I forgot the old system was still hooked up. It seems the Apple iPhone and my newer Mac PC don't talk very well together for some reason. You'd think they'd work fine together, but it's not the case with photos I guess.

And it was a GREAT night out Ellis, couldn't have been any better! Well, except maybe if I had a bigger boat, and all my extended family, and buddies were on board for the ride! I think a 75' repurposed lobster boat would handle it nicely! To dream.....

Mike, we had so much respect for you and now you blew it. :sidelaugh

I, on the other hand, never have boating mishaps...well, maybe just a few.

Years ago, a buddy and I had launched my bass boat in s local lake. Fished for several hours and then backed the trailer down the metal launch ramp to retrieve the boat. Somehow, I got the edge of the trailer stuck under the ramp and could not move it. What to do? I backed the boat off, turned it around and used the Anchor Mate to lift the ramp and free the trailer. That was when the brain was still functioning normally. I don't know if I would have thought of that today. :dunno:
See Al, you didn't have to disclose those details, nobody called you out! :side laugh

Pretty slick thinking to get yourself out of that jamb! The cable clamps just wouldn't budge, I couldn't get enough leverage with the 1/4" drive ratchet handle and hold the cable clip at the same time. Paul ended up using my biggest ViseGrip plier to hold the clip so I could use both hands to break the two nuts loose on the cable clip. I'd have been up the creek if he hadn't been around. My wife was grateful he was there too, she didn't have to deal with it, or me. lol

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Thanks for the update, Mike! I'll bet everyone was excited to go for a ride at the end of the day. A boat ride is always a wonderful way to wrap up any day. :)

You obviously go the extra mile with the preventative maintenance and it proves itself every year! You've made a lot of improvements to the boat and trailer too which you can be proud of.

It sounds like the trip you made recently was a bucket list item you can check off. :fing02:

Edit:

Wow, Mike, I just visited your resurrection thread for the boat and didn't realize you went through a full rebuild saga! You really have gone through the boat from bow to stern and know it inside and out. :thThumbsU

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,614 Posts
There's nothing like an animated mooring buoy to brighten up a person's day Paul. Bet you had some lookers. :D

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update, Mike! I'll bet everyone was excited to go for a ride at the end of the day. A boat ride is always a wonderful way to wrap up any day. :)

You obviously go the extra mile with the preventative maintenance and it proves itself every year! You've made a lot of improvements to the boat and trailer too which you can be proud of.

It sounds like the trip you made recently was a bucket list item you can check off. :fing02:

Edit:

Wow, Mike, I just visited your resurrection thread for the boat and didn't realize you went through a full rebuild saga! You really have gone through the boat from bow to stern and know it inside and out. :thThumbsU
I get to know my fixer upper's pretty well, Austen! lol

And Yes, this is one of the trips I've wanted to do for a long time on my own boat, a bucket list one for sure. It doesn't sound like much, 14 miles round trip in the land cut, but it really can be a dangerous endeavor if things go wrong. I believe Buzzards Bay is on a higher plane than Cape Cod Bay (I could be wrong, might be the other way around), so when the tide is High in Buzzards Bay and ebbs east back to CC Bay the currents can hit more than 5 mph, and with strong southerly wind even faster. The "S" curve built into the canal itself is bye design, it slows down the currents so there was no need for a "Lock" like other canals have today. I've seen the currents running so strong that some lesser powered boats (Example: sail boats on auxiliary power) can barely make headway against it and have to wait out the tide. If a boat looses propulsion, tossing the anchor while drifting at 5 mph plus is a dangerous maneuver. We were gifted with the best possible scenario for the transit, and I'm really happy we happened to be out there for it.

I'm not a fan of payment books, so cheap boats are my only option. We got pretty lucky with this one. For the initial money spent, I could have bought a trailer for my old boat, but the trailer came with a nicer boat. Win win....

There's nothing like an animated mooring buoy to brighten up a person's day Paul. Bet you had some lookers. :D
He handled the job admirably, Al! :sidelaugh

While Paul was playing boat anchor, his wife gave me a lift back to the house to retrieve my truck and trailer to pull the boat out, no parking at the ramp. Very nice place to play on the boat though, Lewis Bay. It's attached to Hyannis Harbor and not a long ride to the Vineyard or Nantucket on a sizable craft. Or a freak perfect day on an 18'er like mine.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts