My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got "ThreeMS" commissioned this morning. Ended up having to pull all the cowling off the Mercury 115 outboard to replace 4 carb drainplug gaskets. The new ones are cool in that they are a metal washer with a vulcanized oring seal in the center, the paper ones I replaced barely made it two seasons. I drain the carbs down and rinse the system every fall so they see wear and tear. I've done it three times now so it came apart and went back together fine. I spun on a new fuel filter after I pumped a pint of fuel out of the lines to clear out any crud from winter lay up. Came out perfectly clean, I pump the tank as dry as possible and dump a pint of Seafoam into it so whatever might be left doesn't get ugly, it's worked for years now.

We ran the Wareham River out onto Buzzards Bay, barely a wisper of wind from the SW. Incredible afternoon as far as I'm concerned, I seldom boat out there because the chop makes for unhappy passengers when the wind kicks up every afternoon. Today was a "GIFT" and I'm psyched we had the chance to be out there today, best three hours all week! :fing32:

We turned into Onset Harbor and watched the tanker we passed start it's transit of the Canal.
Threems.jpg
Grabbed an empty mooring in Onset Harbor and took an early season swim with the kids!
Threems1.jpg

Sorry about the crumby cell phone pictures....

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,222 Posts
Isn't it great when things go smoooooth :fing32: Glad you and the family had a great time, Mike. Not to many things better than a day on the water. Great memories for the children. I still remember how fun it was to be out on the Peconic and Great South Bay as a kid. We had a flat bottom row boat with a small Evinrude. Boat leaked, but just to the point of bailing every now and again. That was mainly because we pulled it after our trips and the wood would shrink. Funny how things change. Now the bilge pump clicks on :thThumbsU

Did you wet the lines at all, Mike? Or just a pleasure cruise? Either way, glad you had a blast. Thanks for sharing, bud :fing32:

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We didn't fish Ellis, just put some run time on the engine on nice flat water, really a great time. Buzzards Bay is historic for the afternoon blow and choppy conditions, it was just too nice to stay put and not do some sight seeing!

I have a decent collection of salt rods and the kids are starting to show some interest so might give it a shot this summer.

-I have two 5.5' Shakespeare Ugly Sticks with spin cast reals for the girls. I bought the smallest rods I could find so they could move around the boat without spearing the Bimini top.
- 2 stand up conventional rods, both 6' Medium Heavy with nice Penn level wind reals for trolling
- and a few casting rods, 7.5' or so, nothing special but they do the job.

So I'm pretty well set for some bottom fishing and maybe troll some tube and worm rigs. May jig the bottom if I can get to a few places on CC Bay too. Lots of possibilities just need to make the time.....

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Looking good Mike, mighty good! Hoping to take my boat out next week, again! The Sea Ray I just got a few weeks ago. You did a good job with motor storage!

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mac, putting the boat up for the winter is a pain in the backside but it pays dividends in the spring! How do you like the Sea Ray?

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,614 Posts
Nothing like a good day on the water Mike. Get the kids fishing as soon as possible, and they will always fish. My son grew up using an Ugly Stick, which easily survived the torture test. We still have it hanging on the porch in perfect condition for guest use.

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your right Al, I'll need to get the kids ground fishing for Scup (salt version of Sun Patties) this summer. As long as there's bait on the hooks they keep biting and the kids stay interested.

Myself, I'd like to get out into the cold water on CC Bay and troll the rocky shoreline for Stripers. Hopefully when I'm on vacation in August!

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
BO, I have always wanted a Sea Ray. Mine is a '99, but they are well made. I love it! Dry, stable ride and stable for fishing too. It's the 185 walk through windshield, 125 hp Mercury. I fish all year, so like the windshield for winter.

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BO, I have always wanted a Sea Ray. Mine is a '99, but they are well made. I love it! Dry, stable ride and stable for fishing too. It's the 185 walk through windshield, 125 hp Mercury. I fish all year, so like the windshield for winter.
Sea Rays are nice boats Mac, although I've never been on a smaller one, I have ridden on a friend of mine's SR Amberjack 26' and my SIL has a 31' SR cabin cruiser. If I ever update from the Maxum I'd like to go for a SeaRay 20'-23' with a small cuddy cabin. But that's a looong way off! LOL

Enjoy the summer on the boat!!:trink39:

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Any day on the water is a good one.
Any day on the water that you don't hit anything and nothing breaks is even better.
Enjoy

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've got that right KDL, especially the not hitting anything and nothing breaks part! :fing32:

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Heheheheee, that's the truth KDL. Bo, I also like the cuddy cabin type, but ye olde lucres keep me away from them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Looks like a nice time. I really want to get a boat soon, I love being out on the water and fishing, but it seems like for a decent boat around here people want top dollar. Even stuff that needs work they want a ton of money.

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like a nice time. I really want to get a boat soon, I love being out on the water and fishing, but it seems like for a decent boat around here people want top dollar. Even stuff that needs work they want a ton of money.
Keep cruising CraigsList mowerbeast, that's where I found this one. The deals are out there, just be patient. Here is the link to when I bought this boat:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=222086

Good luck with the boat search!:fing32:

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Re: First run of the season on Buzzards Bay, 2016!

Rather then start a new thread I'll just call this First run 2016!

I've had the boat gassed up and ready to roll for a few weeks now, just haven't had a good day to use it. Seems every afternoon / evening the wind is blowing and just not a good time on a small boat.

I got home around 4:30 this evening and figured, why not? My trees surrounding my yard aren't moving much, the marine forecast for Buzzards Bay is 5-10 mph out of the West, diminishing. My wife rolled in and I directed her to park the car in the garage and out of the way, pack a bag of drinks, snacks and lets go out on the boat. All in, the kids came out running and grabbed their life jackets and through them on board. they know the drill in that respect!

So we launched at Taylor's Point Marina, next to the Cape Cod Canal RR bridge. As we got underway and out of the protected marina I noticed how inviting the bay looked. The wind was coming mostly from the land so the waves weren't building at all. We motored out into the canal channel and it was mill pond quiet.
I looked over at my wife and said "want to run the ditch?"

Game on!! I've been wanting to run the canal in my own boat for years, just never found the right day and nerve to do it. The currents can be really tough on small boats, throw in the wind and it's even worse.

Tonight I crossed it off my to do list! Was as much fun as I've ever had on the boat, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride! Set the throttle at 3K on the tach, GPS reading 20 mph and just sat back and meandered through. The old Mercury ran wonderful, no hiccups at all, just a smooth run. Only passed 3 other boats in the 15 miles round trip. Took only a few pictures on the iPhone6, I was too busy grinning from ear to ear to document it. I honestly wished I had a GoPro Camera to mount to the windshield to video the whole trip. You know, so when I'm indoors looking at snow and ice during the winter I could watch the video.

After we finished the round trip through the canal, 15 miles or so, we kept going past the marina and rounded Hog Island and checked out Phinney's Harbor. Boy there sure is a lot of beautiful houses in there. Very pretty little harbor and nice sandy beaches. After that, we decided to head on back, none of us had eaten dinner.

I'm still grinning ear to ear thinking about the great cruise, another gift on the bay this evening!

IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3076.JPG

1- My kids sitting up front as we approach the Sagamore Bridge.
2- Looking back at the Sagamore Bridge.

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Looks like you had a good time! Had a friend with a boat and it was old when he got it, every time we went out we had to fix things, must be nice to have a stable one!

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm a stickler for maintenance, Tim, a boat that breaks down is no fun at all. I'm also lucky to have a close friend, that's a marine mechanic, who's always willing to lend me a hand if I have trouble. But amazingly enough, I've been handling the winterizing and spring commissioning for several years with no issues. I must be doing something right. I did have a trim and tilt electric motor not function this spring and I replaced it without much fuss. Luckily only broke one bolt out of four and left enough to wiggle out with Vise Grips.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,614 Posts
That's some really calm water Mike! Looks like the lake here. What a beautiful ride that must have been. Great family trip. :thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
Looks like you had a good time! Had a friend with a boat and it was old when he got it, every time we went out we had to fix things, must be nice to have a stable one!
Its the planning, and prep that gives you a trust worthy boat, and I know He has had his fights over the years!!right mike?

Nice run!! Glad it all came together for you, and you and the ladies got out for a nice summer night cruze, and made that canal trip! :fing32::drunkie:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts