My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 48inch MF Rotary Cutter (Rhino) and I woke up early to try it out. I have a GC2400 (24hp) and I was running through some high 3-4ft grass and the mower got choked up a few times and stalled out the tractor.

The grass was a little wet and it was some unexplored ground but shouldn't it tear through it? Maybe my expectations were a bit high or am i doing something wrong?

It seems like a solid cutter and my GC has been awesome so far. Any advice?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Most likely your ground speed is too high. These will not cut 4 feet of grass at 7 MPH.

Also you may be trying to cut too short on your first pass if the grass is really tall.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
It takes a lot of HP to swing a rotary cutter in heavy grass/weeds/unknowns. Wet, thick, heavy grass is tough. Do you have the mower set up right with the leading edge of the blade cutting plain slightly lower than the rear? Very important, otherwise you're not getting a clean one time cut. Gear down, cut slow. Try a couple passes, each one shorter in very high grass. Once you get a path cut, take half a swath if necessary. Good luck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would recomend slowing down, and cut when its dry.
:goodl:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have an old 5' RM on a Fordson Major Diesel (~40hp). In heavy wet grass even that engine will load up and start slowing down. This was 12"-18" in a very damp area, so pretty thick dense grass, cutting to around 4". I usually cut in 3rd or 4th gear, so around 5-8 mph I'd guess.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Yeah,probably just going to fast,and you have to have the throttle up to achieve right pto speed and leave it up,mines got a mark on tach.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just looked your tractor up, 18.7 h.p. on the PTO is a little light, it will do it if you go slow, as noted even a 40+ will bog down under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I tend to be lack patience sometimes. I took another run at it today and things went much better. It was super dry (100 plus here in NE) and I creeped through it, letting the mower do its thing.

Thanks again!

·
Member of the 0.4k Club!!
412 Posts
I just purchased a 48inch MF Rotary Cutter (Rhino) and I woke up early to try it out. I have a GC2400 (24hp) and I was running through some high 3-4ft grass and the mower got choked up a few times and stalled out the tractor.

The grass was a little wet and it was some unexplored ground but shouldn't it tear through it? Maybe my expectations were a bit high or am i doing something wrong?

You didn't mention what gear you were in but 3-4 ft tall grass can be asking a lot, especially if wet.

My Ford 601 has only a 4-spd single range trans, and with tall grass I'm often using only 1st gear .. which - being a single range trans - moves it along pretty well. As someone else observed, overlapping is a good way to put a little less stress on everything. 2nd gear is about my max when running the shredder. For one thing, the ride gets a little rough.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have 5 ft rotary cutter on a Kubota L3400DT with 30 PTO hp and found, as you did, that bush hogging can require alot of power. In the process of asking around and experimenting, I discovered that when working in tall growth, even a very small increase in cut height (.5 to 1 inch) often makes a significant reduction in the power required by the cutter.
And I echo raytasch on setting the rear higher than the front - this makes a huge reduction in power by clearing the cut material and not cutting the same stems multiple times. I find it works best at a 1" differential in moderate growth, up to 2" in heavy growth or when I want to move faster.

Best of luck to you.

BTW, what make is the GC2400? Is it gas or diesel?

Chuck H

1 - 11 of 11 Posts