My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on a first garden tractor purchase. Will be mowing 3.5 acres some hills and flat ground. Looking for a tractor that will last many years, the only one I have looked at so far was a Cub Cadet XT3 GS. Open to all makes, have about 4k to spend only looking at new. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The Xt3 is a borderline GT- plus they will be more than 4K once you add cost of deck into equation bout 5K ( for 54 inch deck) now you are in ball park of John Deere and Simplicity garden tractors. Do you plan on ground engagement? Snow removal? I think Husky sell a model with K66 for about 3500- not sure on the quality of machine though. If you are looking for true GT that will last 20+ years- plus hold its value, you cant beat the John Deere X5xx series GT's- of course they will go over your 4K budget. take advantage of Deere's zero pct interest

·
Registered
321 Posts
Agree'd with what's said above.

Your needs and budget are very close but do not match. Either go used or save another 1,000 then go shopping. Anything less and you are selling your self short.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, the quote on Cub was $4400 with 50" deck. Just looked at the Deere X570 with 48 deck,
$5859 out the door. I going to buy the John Deere. Again thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
buy the best transmission and build quality that is in your budget. HP is overrated.

i was in your shoes 30 years ago. 30 years ago i bought a new 1986 john deere 316 for $4K. same budget you have in today's $.

wife was not pleased with me spending $4,000 on a tractor

316 is still running great 30 years later, wife is now ex-wife.

best $4,000 ever spent....

J

1986 John Deere 316, 50" deck, G6 Gator blades - original owner, purchased jan 1987
2010 Cyclone Rake Z10

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the help, the quote on Cub was $4400 with 50" deck. Just looked at the Deere X570 with 48 deck,
$5859 out the door. I going to buy the John Deere. Again thanks!
If you have a few local dealers price check them all. I have 3 (not all real close but not to far), out of those the best deal I got was 10% off on mine. Deere was also offer 20% off on all accessories so I added a few of those with my purchase.

Currently Deere is offering either 0% financing for 12 months or 4.9% for 48 months as long as the purchase is on or before May 1st. I don't think you will find much incentives to buy in the middle of the summer. Deals seem to be fall through spring.
https://www.deere.com/en_US/buying_and_finance/usa/special_offers/riding_mowers/res_sst_48months.page

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
buy the best transmission and build quality that is in your budget. HP is overrated.

i was in your shoes 30 years ago. 30 years ago i bought a new 1986 john deere 316 for $4K. same budget you have in today's $.

wife was not pleased with me spending $4,000 on a tractor

316 is still running great 30 years later, wife is now ex-wife.

best $4,000 ever spent....

J

1986 John Deere 316, 50" deck, G6 Gator blades - original owner, purchased jan 1987
2010 Cyclone Rake Z10
You spent more than you think if you are comparing to today's dollars.

That $4K in 1986 is the same as $8,890.62 in todays money.

For instance, my 1980 Bolens HT20D listed for $5,400.00 plus another $760.00 for a 54" deck for a total of $6,160.00. That would be 18,211.10 in today's money.

when you compare the cost of yesterdays tractors to today's tractors you have to take inflation into account.

As for the XT3 GS being a "borderline GT"?

With a cast iron trans and a BDU-10 hydro, it is definitely not borderline, It's a real GT.

·
Registered
321 Posts

That $4K in 1986 is the same as $8,890.62 in todays money.

For instance, my 1980 Bolens HT20D listed for $5,400.00 plus another $760.00 for a 54" deck for a total of $6,160.00. That would be 18,211.10 in today's money.

when you compare the cost of yesterdays tractors to today's tractors you have to take inflation into account.

With a cast iron trans and a BDU-10 hydro, it is definitely not borderline, It's a real GT.
Depending on the model of this series the Tuff Torq K46 and K58 transmissions are used. Only has a 3 gallon fuel tank and this tractor is priced at 3999.99 before the cost of the deck. Just because they call it a GT doesn't mean it's in the same league as Simplicity and JD.

When you factor the price + deck cost it it's not really that much of a savings and you are not getting a GT transmission.

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
You need to do a bit more research.

The XT1 and XT2 use the K46 and K58 hydro. The XT3 uses a BDU-10 hydro which IS a GT trans.

You can find that info here by clicking on the transmission tab.

TractorData.com Cub Cadet XT3 GS tractor information

If you are going to give advice at least be accurate.

The XT3 series is every bit as capable as the equivalent JD, and at a lesser price.

BTW, I looked at the specs on the X570, and noticed that while they were quick to talk about the cast iron front end, they said nothing about a cast iron trans. Was that just an 'oversight', or are they using an aluminum trans?

·
Registered
321 Posts

The XT1 and XT2 use the K46 and K58 hydro. The XT3 uses a BDU-10 hydro which IS a GT trans.

You can find that info here by clicking on the transmission tab.

TractorData.com Cub Cadet XT3 GS tractor information

The XT3 series is every bit as capable as the equivalent JD, and at a lesser price.

BTW, I looked at the specs on the X570, and noticed that while they were quick to talk about the cast iron front end, they said nothing about a cast iron trans. Was that just an 'oversight', or are they using an aluminum trans?
Apparently I do. I look this up to see what it was and this is where I got my info. It said nothing about any other transmission option, only mentions the K46 & K58. Not my fault lol
2016 Cub Cadet Enduro Series XT3 Review

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
Apparently you don't, because if you would have read the whole article you would have seen this:

The XT3 lineup starts with the GS model, which comes with a professional-grade carbureted 22.5 hp Kohler Command Twin, uses true shaft drive to transmit engine power to a cast iron BDU Hydro-Gear transmission, has a HD cast iron front axle with grease fittings, a robotically welded twin C-channel frame, 16” x 6.5” front and 23” x 10.5” rear Turf Master tires, HD steel front bumper, a deluxe high-back seat with 6” fore/aft travel and armrests, tilt steering wheel, and a four-year unlimited hour warranty. Steering, as on the XT1 and XT2 Series, is a manual sector and pinion system, and the deck lift is a spring-assisted lever system. Available mowers include 42”, 50” and 54” stamped decks.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

That's incorrect- torque on rear end is between K58 and k66 - borderline GT- CC doesnt even make a OEM Sleeve hitch for it. Strangely enough Cub Cadet makes a OEM sleeve hitch for some Xt2's ..the XT3 is a fine tractor but as GT is a borderline or light duty Garden tractor

·
Registered
321 Posts
Apparently you don't, because if you would have read the whole article you would have seen this:
Ok you can stop being a two hole now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

?

If you are comparing an XT3 to a X390 then you are correct- might even be more capable (although that is debatable)

The K72 tranny in X500 series is considerably stronger with hundreds of lbs more torque
Won’t get into hydraulic lift vs electric lift, or CC version of power steering

Again the XT3 is a fine machine- for many people it’s a perfect fit, not brand bashing at all, but it is not in X5xx class

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you're willing to buy at Lowes you can get 2 different machines with K66's, just have to have them ordered, not many stores stock them. $3299 and $3399 last I checked, Troy Bilt and Husqvarna. Fits your budget, K66 trans with dif lock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts