My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been lurking for awhile and finally got around to joining. This site has been very helpful in keeping my two L series Gravely's running. One is a 63 L8 that's been on the farm since it was new. The other is a 66 L and I'm the second owner. I use the tractor's mostly for mowing and snow blowing. I've run the L8 since I was 10 years old, (39 now).

Time for my question. I recently bought a late model L8 parts tractor. I want to convert the 66 L over to a two speed axle. The part's tractor has been completely disassembled and the axle's and diff look great. Can I simple remove the axles and diff from my L and install the two speed axle??

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Yes you can, or you could move your 66 L engine over to the the L8 chassis. Do you know if it really an L8 or C8 parts tractor?

Your 66 has to be an L, not an LI.

Roger,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure it's an L8 parts tractor. The gas tank and top end were already gone but the previous owner said it was a 7.6 HP engine.

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
If it really has a 7.6 engine, then it should be a C8. Can you post a photo of the differential?

In the message area click 'Go Advanced' and then click on the 'paper clip' to upload a photo from you computer. You have to know where the photo is on your computer.

Roger,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The diff is the later style with the wire secured bolts. That is if I understand the FAQ correctly.

Later,
Stephen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts