My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reached five hours on my SLT1550 with the Kohler engine. I am thinking it is time to do the first oil change. Have seen some say to put in synthetic oil. What are the thoughts here?? Synthetic or Mineral?? Any particular braqnd and weight for Florida heat? First new tractor and want to start her out right.

Bob

·
MTF Middle-age Poster
179 Posts
I'd run it on regular oil until about 50 hours or so, before switching over to synthetic.
It only takes two quarts, get the Kohler 10W-30 & use it for the first few changes.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Stick with conventional oil for the first season. For Florida heat, I'd run a heavy-duty synthetic blend like Shell Rotella-T 5w40 or 15w40 from then on. Talk to a commercial outfit that runs any air cooled equipment in your area, Kohler or otherwise. I can almost guarantee they use 15w40, 15w50 or 20w50 in all their equipment.

Joel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Conventional it will be. The oil still looks like new but I will change it now to get any crumbs or debris out. Should I change the filter too this time or can I just change the oil??

Bob

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'd change the oil and filter. Again, I go against the grain and use the equivalent of a Motorcraft FL400 in place of a Cub or Kohler filter on my Kohler Command 20. It's over twice as long as the 'factory' filter, allowing for more oil holding capacity. I change my oil about once a season and it looks clean as new. FWIW, I've run regular 10w30, Rotella-T 5w40 and Supertech sythetic 10w30 in mine.. purrs like a kitten. My personal preference is the 5w40 for max protection and engine longevity.

Joel

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
@ bob always change the filter , It's the only defence the engine has to debre. and always look at the filter real good to see it has been put together right. Plus when you do this checking the fule filter should be checked at every oil change too. If you have a hydro it may be a good thing just to change the filter , not the fluid , just remember to fill the filter before sarewing it one and always put some vasline on the seal before screwing any filter on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I reached the 5 hour mark, I went with a WIX filter. I used castrol 10-30 for my oil. I will use Mobil 1 when I reach the 50 hr mark, I am almost at 25 hours, and plan on changing it again........ I figure that oil is cheap compared to a rebuild......... I also grease the fittings a couple of times during the season, for the same reason.... During the plowing (snow) I put grease in the front end every time it leaves the garage. My thoughts on that is because of the extra weight on the front end from the plow......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts