My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in October I picked up my first Gravely walk behind. It came from a local school department that had 6 that they used with front blades to clear sidewalks at the schools.
7AD45C29-50B2-4A25-872E-1AEFFEFC697F.jpeg

·
Registered
453 Posts
Oh man I love that color scheme, I think they only did that for 2 years, the 8199 we had was an 81 model?

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
994 Posts
Nice score. When you refill the oil I recommend having an attachment connected or at least a securely mounted block-off plate on the front. Otherwise, if it tips forward you will have a big oil mess on the floor.

Reactions: BILDIT

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Wait a minute....
Ugh. Can you tell what that is? It looks like pieces of busted-up needle bearing. I can't think why there would be needle bearings anywhere near there. Maybe the more modern brush hog deck used them?

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Ah, never mind. There's a needle bearing in the QH adapter. That's no doubt where those came from.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm... from what I was told, this machine spent it’s whole life with a front blade on it. No quick hitch.

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
IIRC there was a QH plow blade. Not positive. But if they had one of those, there would have been no load on that needle bearing, so hard to see why it would come apart.

Regardless, those old needles have got to go. It's possible that some of them have slipped down into the bottom of the case. It's not unlikely that they've been sitting there for years without causing trouble, but . . . .

·
Registered
453 Posts
Go fishing with a magnet on a stick. Always good to clean out the sump and pickup screen though, lots of sludge and crap accumulates there over time.

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There was far more sludge in the axle housing. You guys drill drill drain back holes in your housings?
A4364367-E346-455B-8007-DCD56CC048C4.jpeg

1 - 20 of 103 Posts