My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my wife and I built a new house on a nice 1/2 acre lot. We had been mowing it with a 22 inch walk behind mower and it was getting a bit taxing in the SC humidity. Also the boss err wife is likes to garden so our new to us 216 will be used to both mow and do garden chores like soil prep hauling and other tasks. She has already taken a liking to it despite it being the wrong color. She would love a farmall cub but our property is just too small for one now. 20190810_110325_1565576036186.jpg
20190811_121259_1565576054380.jpg
20190811_121305_1565576073447.jpg

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,623 Posts
Looks great, somebody did a nice restoration from what I can see. Hope to get both of my 200's looking as good.

·
Boo
12,093 Posts
Just noticed, not sure it matters to you or your wife, but the seat springs on the tractor are backwards. You should rock back not fall forward as the seat springs hold the driver's weight.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,623 Posts
Just noticed, not sure it matters to you or your wife, but the seat springs on the tractor are backwards. You should rock back not fall forward as the seat springs hold the driver's weight.
Good Catch!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip. Its one of those things I would have not picked up on but it didn't quite feel right sitting in the seat. I'll get that filled around tonight.

·
Registered
800 Posts
That looks nice! Any plans for attachments?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks nice! Any plans for attachments?
at a bare minium going to get an aerator spreader and some sort of cart, leaning towards building one. Idealy the wife would love a tiller to work her garden beds but we might just used a single plow and a disc next spring. Our soil is hard packed clay in an old cotton field so we need to work on getting some nutrients into the soil this fall.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good looking tractor, congrats.
I'd like a 216 also, but havent found 1, yet.

As for the seat springs being reversed.
It probably moved the seat back for legroom, or to fit that seat. The seat is a replacement. So try it either way, what fits you is best.
The mower deck looks to be a newer model also. Your 216 would have had a 38in or 46in deck. The 46in deck is a model 47 deck, and look like this...
20190624_152212_1565648932871.jpg
Try and get belt numbers for the blades and the PTO drive. Since that deck didnt come with it, the stock parts lookup won't help. If you cant find any numbers on the belts, remove them and get them measured and matched up. And I recommend JD belts only. They fit and last.
You have a great tractor that with proper maintenance will outlast us all.
Ohh, and get your wife to smile when on the 216.
I cant stop smiling when I'm on my old 212.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,623 Posts
Just noticed, but the seat springs on the tractor are backwards.
It probably moved the seat back for legroom, or to fit that seat. The seat is a replacement.
After a closer look, the seat brackets are upside down, as well as backwards. The slotted end should be mounted to the fender deck, so the seat can be slid forward and backward The slotted ends are also a bit longer than the other end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good looking tractor, congrats.
I'd like a 216 also, but havent found 1, yet.

It probably moved the seat back for legroom, or to fit that seat. The seat is a replacement. So try it either way, what fits you is best.
The mower deck looks to be a newer model also. Your 216 would have had a 38in or 46in deck. The 46in deck is a model 47 deck, and look like this...
View attachment 2390717
Try and get belt numbers for the blades and the PTO drive. Since that deck didnt come with it, the stock parts lookup won't help. If you cant find any numbers on the belts, remove them and get them measured and matched up. And I recommend JD belts only. They fit and last.
You have a great tractor that with proper maintenance will outlast us all.
Ohh, and get your wife to smile when on the 216.
I cant stop smiling when I'm on my old 212.
Thanks for the info I'm new to this. Ran exmark and Walker 0s in a professional setting and have run bigger tractors growing up but never a GT. The wife grew up as a the daughter of a landscaper but only had experance with walk behinds with skids so she was nervous with it that will change as she did like running it.

2,081 Posts
At least your wife can reach the brake pedal. My wife can't, so she has to go real slow. My wife dresses like yours too. One day there was a three car accident in front of our house when my wife was cutting along the edge of our heavily traveled street. I wish we were on a dead end street and not a main artery.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My first GT was a 214. Get spare belts. You have to loosen the rear pulley bolts to change the rear belt. It will drive you crazy otherwise. Mine used to foul the points a couple times per season. It’s a ***** to get that cover off to clean them. I found an electric upgrade to help the points life. Bought my 318 before upgrading but I’ll see if I can find the link. I loved that tractor but upgraded to hydraulics for snow removal.

Enjoy. It’s a way cooler tractor than the big box crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
At least your wife can reach the brake pedal. My wife can't, so she has to go real slow. My wife dresses like yours too. One day there was a three car accident in front of our house when my wife was cutting along the edge of our heavily traveled street. I wish we were on a dead end street and not a main artery.
That's pretty funny.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dont worry about replacing the trans or engine belt yet, there actually pretty easy.
The device turbo is referring to is called, the points saver by Kirk engines. Hope this is the link.
http://www.kirkengines.com/

I put the module, blue coil, new points, new wire in both of my 212's. Also the hex screws for the points and cover. Setting the timing can be a pita, but It went much easier the 2nd time.
Heres a pic installed,
20190722_184011_1565781304078.jpg

The first item you should do is remove the engine tins and clean the fins really good. Both of mine were pretty bad, especially around the oil fill tube.

·
Registered
321 Posts
:tango_face_surprise So you are saying your wife caused a three car accident cause she was mowing close to the road in shorts? Wonder how the police person wrote that one up! :tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
58 Posts
:tango_face_surprise So you are saying your wife caused a three car accident cause she was mowing close to the road in shorts? Wonder how the police person wrote that one up! :tango_face_devil:
Not sure it was the shorts as much as the cleavage! That's what caused me to notice my wife :tango_face_glasses:

2,081 Posts
Not paying attention to driving. But where we live the police wouldn't give out tickets. They would just get them to exchange their information among themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts