My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bagger installed on the GT 5000 today, and had a job for it right away! I planted grass next to my house and had spread straw on top to try to keep the moisture in the ground.

Last weekend we had 30+ MPH winds for 2 days and my straw went everywhere except where I needed it! I used the bagger attachment and was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked!

As you can see in the first two thumbnails, the deck / bagger combination sucked the straw, as well as a lot of thatch I did not even know was there! I then spread the straw back over my seeded grass, and it is even better than it was originally as now the straw is ground up, and there is some thatch mixed in to hold it a little better.

I was having too much fun to quit (after the 20 minutes that took me) to quit, so I just ran over the rest of the yard to suck up all of the winter debris and some of the thatch! I was amazed at all I was able to collect! I was not cutting any grass... It's still not growing... just vacuuming! What I picked up off the rest of the yard is in the trailer thumbnail!

The bagger / deck combination worked better that I thought it would... Well worth the investment!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Looks good, mbkerk! I am well into mowing season now with my new GT5000 and I have to say that the cut of the 54" deck just blows me away. When I get done mowing it looks just like a big green carpet, which is just the look I am after.

I don't have the bagger attachment on mine, but overall I really like the cut these machines deliver.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ingersoll444 said:
I LIKE that trailer!

Is that for road use, or just around the yard?
I built the trailer in 2003 for use as a multi-purpose trailer. It is still a "work in progress!"

Originally it was built to haul people around behind my B John Deere at the threshing show I attend in Rollag, MN. (hence the JD colors:D!) I have benches that mount in the trailer and we have had up to 17 adults in it. It gets heavy use around here, and is just as happy doing 70 down the highway as it is "putsing" around the yard.

I have built 5 trailers, including a 23' flatbed goose neck, and a enclosed trailer using an old bread truck, (still not finished!) but my green one seems to be the most handy!

It has a 3500# axle, brakes, and a 2" treated wood floor. In the next couple of months I plan to add a hinged ramp made out of expanded steel so I can get my GT and my golf cart in and out easier! I also needs an end gate of some kind. I have this habit of building things just to get them usable, then just getting by!

I plan to post more on my trailer projects in the trailer forum as time allows!

Thanks for the kind words!

(I'll sneek in one picture of the work in progress... You can see the tor-flex axle laying to the left of the trailer.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
mbkerk:

The lawn looks great after you cut with the bagger on. Does the GT5000 mower deck create enough vacuum to lift small twigs into the bagger? I'm looking at a bagger for my GT5000 48 inch mower - do you have to remove any existing parts on the mower deck to install the bagger? Any pics you could share showing the bagger attached would be great - thanks!

Abowie

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
abowie said:
The lawn looks great after you cut with the bagger on. Does the GT5000 mower deck create enough vacuum to lift small twigs into the bagger? I'm looking at a bagger for my GT5000 48 inch mower - do you have to remove any existing parts on the mower deck to install the bagger? Any pics you could share showing the bagger attached would be great - thanks!
:Welcome1: abowie!

The bagger works great. You WILL NOT be disappointed if you buy one. I am using the stock blades on the deck.

The bagger goes on and off in about 2 minutes. Nothing to bolt on, and no parts have to come off first. Even the deflector stays on.

Check out this thread for a little more detail on the bagger.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=11775

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Mark for the reply. Sounds like the bagger is an easy install and works well. Look forward to using it this Fall. I have four 250 year old oaks in my back yard and they do some serious leaf dropping.

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts