My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

This evening was my first time using the 2320 with the 62D and there’s only one word that can describe it:

Amazing!

When I bought the tractor it was so I could do a number of projects around the house. The property has been neglected over the years, only because we’ve been busy with work and children, and I decided that it was time to do something about it.

The CEO approved the new tractor last fall, but only if I traded in our faithful 425 (I still have the old Craftsman from before the 425). She didn’t want another tractor sitting in the garage. So, the task was to find a machine that would cut and do the other projects as well.

I experienced the power of the 2320 over the winter, but was always a little apprehensive of its mowing abilities. I was pleasantly surprised today, no, blown away is more like it… It mowed just as well, if not better than the 425, was quieter and did it faster…

I’m very happy with my choice....

GC

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
GC - Great news. It's not just the first time you mow that it seems this good......I bought the my 2305 primarily for mowing and I'm constantly amazed at how well this machine cuts - even thick, wet grass no problems. :trink40:

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
I agree, every spring i shake my head at how well the 62d makes the lawn look after the Mrs. mows it. The deck does a tremendous job.:greendr:

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
GC,

Glad your experience follows on the majority of other owner's. :)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The 62 D works great, less filling.:thThumbsU

I am always amazed how you start the deck at idle and a little puff of smoke and away you go. A gas motor would stall if you did that.:greendr:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup,

Started the 62D at pretty much idle, and, for a minute there, I though it wasn’t engaged… It was so quiet :)

The 425 had a 54” deck and there was no way I could start it at low RPMs, and it would whine like a jet…. The 62D is much quieter, even at 2500+ RPM..

Now I do have a question… I know that the PTO rpm is 3000, but, do all of you run the MMM at 3000? The only reason I ask is that 3000 is pretty much WOT for the 2320.. Being new to Diesels, I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not,.. I used to run the 425 at WOT, but that was never an issue.

Thanks

GC

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

3000 rpm gets you the rated pto speeds -540 on the rear and 2000 on the mid. The idea is to have the full engine rated power available at the rated pto speed. The engine is rated at 24hp at 3000. You should be able to mow at a lower rpm if you are still getting a good cut. I don't mow with mine so maybe others can let you know what rpm they mow at.

Cheers
Brian

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Congrats and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
GreenCanadian

:fing32: Great to hear about another happy "green" owner! :fing32:

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
Yep I mow at just under 3000

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
I mow just below 3000 rpm's. :)

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I usually run around 24 to 2500 rpm and it cuts just fine. If it's thick tall grass I'll bump it on up, but my bermuda gets cut fairly frequently, I never let it get so I'm cutting more than an inch off

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well,

This evening was my first time using the 2320 with the 62D and there’s only one word that can describe it:

Amazing!
Man, this is giving me even more reason to look at trading up!! Congrats, glad it mows well for you.

Thad

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thad,

I can’t compare the 2320 to a 2305, but, coming from a “mowing machine”, the 425, I didn’t think that a CUT could do as good a job.

The cut is just as good, but the thing that did it for me is how quiet it is and how fast I can do the work.

My original mower was 20 HP Craftsman Gear Lawn Tractor, I had to mow in parcels as it took close to 8 hours to do all of the yard. I ended up doing over the course of a few days. I then upgraded to the 425 and was blown away… It now took ½ the time to do the same amount of work… Now with the 2320, I’m pretty sure I shaved another hour off the time it takes to do the all of the yard… I’m actually thinking of reclaiming some of the brush because I now have enough time to cut it :D.

Since the 2305 and the 2320 are close relatives, I’m assuming that I would have been blown away by it as well.

GC

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Thad,

I can’t compare the 2320 to a 2305, but, coming from a “mowing machine”, the 425, I didn’t think that a CUT could do as good a job.

The cut is just as good, but the thing that did it for me is how quiet it is and how fast I can do the work.

My original mower was 20 HP Craftsman Gear Lawn Tractor, I had to mow in parcels as it took close to 8 hours to do all of the yard. I ended up doing over the course of a few days. I then upgraded to the 425 and was blown away… It now took ½ the time to do the same amount of work… Now with the 2320, I’m pretty sure I shaved another hour off the time it takes to do the all of the yard… I’m actually thinking of reclaiming some of the brush because I now have enough time to cut it :D.

Since the 2305 and the 2320 are close relatives, I’m assuming that I would have been blown away by it as well.

GC
They are both excellent mowers also and can do much much more. Really glad to hear you like it. slkpk

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Glad you like the 2320 and 62D combo. We went through the same deal.. Started out with a LT2000 Craftsman to mow our 5 acres and the poor little Craftsman did it's best but it wasn't enough mower for the job, so after 1 LT2000, 1 JD GT235 and a JD X500 plus a White Yard Boss GT1822 that is dedicated to tilling we came to the conclusion a 2320 and 62D was the answer and like you cut the mowing time to abt 1/4 of the original much to the wifes dismay as she loves her tractor time but she has since taken over disking the 10 acres of field and tilling the 200x400 garden so I guess that makes up for it. Of course my seat time has shrunk to doing the field spraying, mowing the banks and my favourite of all... I get to have all the seat time I want at -30 clearing snow.
One of my favourite things abt the 62D is the ability to carry it with the 3pt hitch to take it and clean it or put it away in the quonset..

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Don't forget another bonus. You will probably use way less fuel with the diesel. My x475 was a real pig on fuel drinking 4 or more litres/hr. even when just doing yard chores. I hate to think what it would burn mowing thick grass. So far my 2320 has been much easier on fuel although I am not doing any mowing.

Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi

Don't forget another bonus. You will probably use way less fuel with the diesel. My x475 was a real pig on fuel drinking 4 or more litres/hr. even when just doing yard chores. I hate to think what it would burn mowing thick grass. So far my 2320 has been much easier on fuel although I am not doing any mowing.

Cheers
Brian
I totally agree, used barely 5 gallons of diesel for the entire winter. We used to burn 5 gal of gas per mowing of the lawn and I would go through abt 2 1/2 to 3 gallons tilling and abt 4hrs. The wife does the tilling in a little over an hour and maybe a gallon of fuel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same here Saskman,

I haven't been keeping close tabs on the fuel as I kept it topped up all the time, but I put about 20hrs on the tractor over the winter and I think I went through about 12-13 gals of fuel.

The 425 would go through a tank every time I mowed. Let's see what the 2320 does over the summer...

Although the cost of fuel is down, I'm still looking forward to the savings :fing32:

GC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts