My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Cub w/ a two stage 42” blower for $700. The engine is an 18hp magnum w/ 1070 hrs. It has recently been repainted to an ugly brown, I much prefer the signature white / yellow Cub colors.

I have a few fixes to make & some questions –I realize this is a long list and some items are jucst comments---- any input would be appreciated!!

a. The model # is 148660100 and serial # is 775225- From this, the best I can tell it is an 1811 model?

b. The guy I bought it from said he thought it was a ’98; it seems closer to ’88 to me, any estimates as to how old this thing is?

c. The engine (Kohler Magnum) has 1070 hours on it, how many hours should I expect it to last?

d. The hydro is leaking somewhere above the hydro filter, I am guessing it is one or both check valves, which look pricey ~ $150ea, though I did find instructions to rebuild the valve.

e. When the lever to move the deck is pressed upwards the deck goes down which is contrary to the display on the dashboard. I assuming someone switched the lines around and that I can simply switch them back?

f. Along with the item above the deck seems to have very limited range of upward motion, I can only raise it so high. Maybe when I switch the lines around this will change? I’ve also played with the height adjustment knob on the right side, however this was not the limiting factor and the height indicator does not move through the entire range 1-8. Also I’ve noticed that the deck it self can be slightly adjusted, by threading in/out at the attachment points. Also, when I hooked up the blower I could only raise to about 2-1/2” of ground clearance.

g. I need to replace the left idler wheel on the deck, it is missing.

h. There is an oil leak on the right side of the engine; I’m hoping it is an oil line and not the head gasket.

i. The deck belt guard is missing and needs to be replaced.

j. The plug wires are cracked and should be replaced.

k. Any recommendations for online parts sites?

l. The rear tires have much more tread than the fronts and were perhaps replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
(A) YUP....it is a 1988 1811
(C) Depends on the upkeep and maintenance
(D) Could be and also the cork gasket between the Hydro Unit & Rear End
(E) YUP...reverse the hydraulic lines.
(F) The rocker shaft arms supports (Coil Springs) could be worn or broken
(K) Your local CC Dealer or any of the MTF Sponsors

·
Registered
469 Posts
brewer,
I have an 1811 and the lift is correct. The hydro lines are too short to switch. It backwards from the 1x4,1x9and ql's. I've asked this question before on another forum. Your going to like that 1811. 18 mag is a nice engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 1812 W/a 1979 M18,And I hope it never dies.the plug wires are attached to the Magneto(armature) $65.00 to replace,Hydro leak,check it closely,it could be the charge pump seal,bearing,O-ring,cost $35.00.If you have ever done a bearing job?,this will be easy.Oil leak (does it have the remote filter?)could be valve cover gaskets,$3.00 EA.,head gaskets,$15.00 ea. Online info.
Kohlerengines.com,Cubcadet.com. I run mine as a snowplow.

·
Banned
852 Posts
BTW on the check valves, I'm sitting on 8 good extras, parts tractors offer lots of little goodies. Never Ever pay retail for such things.

The one you're looking at is a headache for you, just sayin. We'll see.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
I run my machine in extreme winter conditions,and it has to start,when I need it.If your machine is just a hobby,the junkyard theory would probably work, But,don't be SKEERD of the dealer,I always get 10% off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts