My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some time after my Dad passed, I was told he had bought a tractor and that it was being stored in one of our tenant's machine sheds.

I recalled him talking about buying a Model D 10 years ago, but never knew he actually bought one until last month. Dad was quite the pack rat if you know what I mean.

So I went on a drive and saw the old girl first hand. Here is what I saw...

I am not very familiar with the old John Deere twin cylinder machines. But from what I understand form the serial number, 177224 this machine was made near 1948. It would be a Styled D, with electric start and a PTO.

The good:

It ran when it was parked according to the tenant, the engine is currently not stuck.

It has new tires on it

It is a complete tractor , the only thing missing is battery cover as far as I can tell.

The Bad:

One fender has been hit pretty good, I may be able to fix, but I may need a replacement.

The electrical system has obvious issues

Until I start it and drive it I really don't know what I am dealing with

I am going to keep it, and clean it up. First thing I want to do is get her to run and drive so I can evaluate what it needs. I am an avid mechanic, I have worked on all kinds of vintage cars and I restore vintage motorcycles. Never worked on old Deere before, lots to learn.

I will have lots of questions.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
That looks like a nice project for the winter! Your dad left you quite a gift there.
I agree. Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok first questions...

1. To my surprise the Magneto is a Fairbanks-Morse FMJ. This must be a replacement part, these would have come with a Wico correct?

2. The large 12 volt battery I pulled off was long dead, but it was wired (-) ground. It should be (+) ground, right?

3. Is this the correct generator type? It has been disconnected for some reason.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts