My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I arrived home from vacation and was excited to find my new Oregon 3-in-1 Gator Fusion blades had arrived from Amazon.com. These blades look like a Gator mulching blade but are supposed to work well with a bagger or side chute too. I immediately jacked up the tractor and installed the new blades.

The grass was shaggy, but not overgrown, the mower did not bog down at all when passing through even the heaviest of it. As I started my second pass I could see something was wrong, by the third pass it was obvious that the new blades were leaving a ridge in the middle of the swath, and missing some grass altogether. The lawn looks like a $3 haircut. My old blades went right back on after I was done.

I have never had a problem with this mower deck cutting poorly, either with the high lift blades that came with it, or the "hybrid" blades I've been using for the last two summers.

Another strange thing, no packing list in the box for the new blades. This might be a problem as I am hoping to return them.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Hope you had a nice vacation.

Which tractor, the Craftsman?

I've had good luck with Amazon customer service. Give them a shout.

A $3.00 haircut? Is that first hand experience talking? :ROF :sorry1:

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I use Gator blades on a Craftsman 42" deck and yes, if I go too fast or try to take off too much at once, it will miss a strip in the middle. Slow it down, enjoy the seat time.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is when I started getting a cut like that on my own yard with Gator blades. I had a bit of build up under my deck and that is the result that I got. As soon as I cleaned the deck, the cut was wonderful.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I use Gator blades on a Craftsman 42" deck and yes, if I go too fast or try to take off too much at once, it will miss a strip in the middle. Slow it down, enjoy the seat time.
:ditto:

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I have them on my Woods 44" ZTR; I'm not all that impressed with them either; now IDKJwhat you mean by "Fusion" blades; but I have Gators by Oregon.
I mean compared to the old worn split end set of blades I took off I guess they are better; but as I had a 2nd identical twin ZTR for a while that I flipped, I put a set of Oregon "Contour" blades onto while I had that machine, (looks like an "extra" high lift but not a "gator" design) and the few times I mowed with that mower it seemed the Contour blades did a better job than the Gators; like the Gators, they came from TEW (Tulsa engine warehouse) and I did order 2 sets of teh Contour; one set for the now sold mower, and a 2nd set for "spares" for my "keeper" mower; I think I may swap them out and relegate the Gators as the spares,.
I always have to re mow to get a nice cut w/ the gators; and I mow the most often of any one on my block. so my yard does not "get away" from me; I do a couple neighbors as well and always have to go over them twice;
regardless, of how "slow" I go the 1st time around; and I can "fly" the 2nd time; it always looks better after going over the yard twice (the same day)
I mow and blow and rarely have much "excess" clippings.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope you had a nice vacation.

Which tractor, the Craftsman?

I've had good luck with Amazon customer service. Give them a shout.

A $3.00 haircut? Is that first hand experience talking? :ROF :sorry1:
Great vacation in Maine. The weather was beautiful, Acadia was beautiful and the bass were almost jumping into the canoe.

Yup, the Craftsman.

I just went on the Amazon website. Looks pretty painless.

I splurge and go for the $8 haircut when the girls are practicing on Saturday mornings.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think speed was a factor. I plod along anyway but I tried different speeds and no difference.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IDKJwhat you mean by "Fusion" blades; but I have Gators by Oregon.
Fusion just means that they have carbide in the blade to supposedly stay sharp twice as long.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,970 Posts
Hmmmm..... I've got a set of 3-in-1s on my 38" JD 160 deck and they do an excellent job... The only times I've seen them leaving strips is when I'm mowing grass/weeds taller than 8 inches with the deck in the up position... Of course, when I'm mowing THOSE lots, we're not really going for "golf green" quality here, we're just trying to keep the municipality happy about not losing dogs or small children in the grass...

So, just out of curiousity, when you fire up your mower, does it sound like a turbo-prop aircraft? Because MINE sure does! When I mowed first thing in the early summer, I could see the mower sucking in the left-over leaves and clippings from the fall... Could there be a lift problem?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Are you bagging??

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you pay attention to the "grass side" writing on the blades?
Yeah, the three little wings on the back of the blade are supposed to point down to rake the grass right?..... No, it wasn't anything that dumb, although after seeing the cut quality you can bet I looked under there to see if they were loose, upsidedown, backwards, or something!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I never cared for my Craftsman's cut even with Gators. Now with my 318, it's a different story.

Maybe you ought to focus on getting your 316 or 140 ready for lawn duty?

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, just out of curiousity, when you fire up your mower, does it sound like a turbo-prop aircraft? Because MINE sure does! When I mowed first thing in the early summer, I could see the mower sucking in the left-over leaves and clippings from the fall... Could there be a lift problem?
Yes, those blades are as loud or louder than the hybrid blades I have been using.

I was not bagging, I only do that during leaf season (coming soon!). I was side discharging but that is what this blade is supposed to allow (thus the 3-in-1).

One thing that surprised me is that, other than the 3 "gator" wings on the tips of the blade, it is flat. It does not have any ridge or bend to provide lift. As far as I can tell it looks just like a regular gator blade. Could the whole 3-in-1 thing be marketing?

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never cared for my Craftsman's cut even with Gators. Now with my 318, it's a different story.

Maybe you ought to focus on getting your 316 or 140 ready for lawn duty?
As I mentioned above, the cut with this mower has been fine since new. The only difference yesterday was the new gators.

I like to mow with the Craftsman because my elderly dad likes to mow the flat part of the back yard and the foot pedal drive is easy for him. The Craftsman also has features like safety switches which apparently were disabled long ago on my 140 and 316 in case he gets in trouble.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I like to mow with the Craftsman because my elderly dad likes to mow the flat part of the back yard and the foot pedal drive is easy for him. The Craftsman also has features like safety switches which apparently were disabled long ago on my 140 and 316 in case he gets in trouble.
I see. That step through frame is pretty important then.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Yeah, the three little wings on the back of the blade are supposed to point down to rake the grass right?.....
:ditto::sidelaugh:sidelaugh

1 - 20 of 33 Posts