My Tractor Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 3464 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hi C5: nice looking wood. Yeah - oak is the best for heating here in the Northeast. Red Oaks grow like weeds in New England! LOL Hickory burns great too, be we get post beetle larva (they look like white grubs) that just eat up the hickory like crazy. Do you have them out your way? they tend to live under the bark and eat thru the outer layer of the wood. If you knock the bark off - that tends to get rid of the worms. They don't touch the red oak because of the acidic nature of the sap. Looks like you go thru a lot of wood?? regards WH
Yeah the post beetles will get into the hickory as it dries. You will see little piles of very fine saw dust in the stacks. BTW, they don't eat much. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi again - BTW - how do you like the JD 2305? I'm surprised you don't have a FEL for it considering all the wood you process? I would be totally lost w/o the FEL on the x595! LOL have a couple of clamp-on forks (long and short) for he bucket that really makes moving logs and split pieces a breeze! regards - W

Attachments

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hi again - BTW - how do you like the JD 2305? I'm surprised you don't have a FEL for it considering all the wood you process? I would be totally lost w/o the FEL on the x595! LOL have a couple of clamp-on forks (long and short) for he bucket that really makes moving logs and split pieces a breeze! regards - W

The 2305 is great for mowing, blowing snow, and running the 3 point spreader and 55 gallon sprayer. IMHO, it is too small for loader work. I have been thinking about a loader but would buy a bigger tractor to run it in the 45-50HP range.

I am looking for a bigger sprayer for the orchard and the 2305 is way too small in power and weight to run it. These unit weight more than 3 point capacity is without even adding 50-100 gallons of spray to it.

Gearmore, Inc. - Sprayers AB, 3-Pt Hitch - Sprayers AB, 3-Pt Hitch

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Well I just finished splitting all the rounds I had. No pics yet, but I paced it off and the stack is a good 132' long and 4 stacks deep with a height of 4' 4" high to account for shrinkage and settling.

It looks like this though from previous years. (no stack on right, guess I was goofing off too much with the snowmobile and coyote hunting.)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,025
Hey C5,

In another post I was warned against commenting: "Nice Wood", so I'll restate: "Nice Rack". Better?

Scout and I restacked my fallen stack of wood yesterday, then I got out the wedges and completed a morning cardio on a couple of knotted up uglies.

Then, as it was my birthday, Scout and I decided for an extended sit in the sunshine, and my dear Wife came to check on me. I guess she was worried that now that I am another year older I might need help to get up.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
I must add - that is the nicest grass to stack wood on!! it's all torn-up dirt around my wood piles! LOL Maybe it looks sooo good because we are tired of winter - it's snowing a little today

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Yes, that's an amazing lawn, and an impressive rack. But...

That's a recycled pic, which I'm pretty sure breaks the code of ethics here. OK, he did admit that, but it's still frowned upon...

What winter? Other than a few cold snaps, it's really just been an extended autumn (although I'm looking forward to green trees and grass already).

Mike

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Yes, that's an amazing lawn, and an impressive rack. But...

That's a recycled pic, which I'm pretty sure breaks the code of ethics here. OK, he did admit that, but it's still frowned upon...

What winter? Other than a few cold snaps, it's really just been an extended autumn (although I'm looking forward to green trees and grass already).

Mike
All the hauling is done when the ground is firm and generally frozen. It took 30 loads with the trailer and then aprox. fifty to remove it since some is much smaller than the quantity I haul it in.

Healthy grass will with stand quite a bit. Right now I have about 1.5-2 cubic yards of splitter trash. I have been using that including the bark for mulch around the apple trees.

Never once I have I said I was an ethical wood cutter.:sidelaugh

I will try and get a current pic for the purists.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hey C5,

In another post I was warned against commenting: "Nice Wood", so I'll restate: "Nice Rack". Better?

Scout and I restacked my fallen stack of wood yesterday, then I got out the wedges and completed a morning cardio on a couple of knotted up uglies.

Then, as it was my birthday, Scout and I decided for an extended sit in the sunshine, and my dear Wife came to check on me. I guess she was worried that now that I am another year older I might need help to get up.
Happy Birthday Jere.:howdy:

We won't pry, but hold old is Scout?

I just got back from running the boy down to the game farm on pheasants. Took Yatt out of retirement and he got to go too, he was mighty happy.

Current:

Yatt,

Kade,

Oldies but goodies,

Did someone say "Cats"?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,030
Happy Birthday Jere.:howdy:

We won't pry, but hold old is Scout?
Great looking pics of your canines, thanks for including them. Scout is about 7½ now, and in two years we'll be about the same ripe old age according to conversion rate.

He seems to be aging a little better than me.

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,032
Ok guys, I have a little more stick time on my grapple, and decided to take the rounds to the pile to split and stack directly; rather than split here, haul the splits to the stack and then stack them. By my count, one less handle on every piece adds up in a cord.

First round at regular speed, then I edited the off-camera segments out of the rest. Still, it will get rather boring after maybe 8 or 10 of the grapple picks and shuttles.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Wow, that thing handles an impressive amount of wood!

Daylight savings starts soon, which is great news for me, it'll give me a reason to get out of work on time and get working on cutting and splitting for next year.

Mike

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I'm about processed out, buyer picked up three pickup loads w/small trailers this morning. One more trip will finish emptying the wood shed. Which will give me more machinery storage space!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Got my Husky 359 back from the shop. Ran 3 tanks-o-gas through it yesterday, and all I gotta say is, WOW! I shoulda had it ported years ago. It was pretty fast before, with a gutted muffler and tweaked carb, but now it actually has torque, and at a much lower RPM.

·
Registered
574 Posts
HI GHUNS - Yeah , a little extra breathing works wonders; I did cylinders and mufflers on my Husky 372XPW (78cc big bore) and my 2095 Jonsered. the increase in pulling power is amazing! Using a thinner base gasket on the cylinder will inc. the compr ratio a little by shrinking the squish band volume at the top of the piston. cord pulls a little harder! LOL Wish they made a "kick-starter" conversion for the 2095 Jonsered!:sidelaugh regards -WH

·
Registered
315 Posts
HI GHUNS - Yeah , a little extra breathing works wonders; I did cylinders and mufflers on my Husky 372XPW (78cc big bore) and my 2095 Jonsered. the increase in pulling power is amazing! Using a thinner base gasket on the cylinder will inc. the compr ratio a little by shrinking the squish band volume at the top of the piston. cord pulls a little harder! LOL Wish they made a "kick-starter" conversion for the 2095 Jonsered!:sidelaugh regards -WH
I walked out of the shop to test cut with mine, grabbed the handle and about pulled my shoulder outta socket. The guy who worked on it said, yeah, I forgot to tell you, I removed the base gasket. You'll wanna use the compression release now.:fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Ok guys, I have a little more stick time on my grapple, and decided to take the rounds to the pile to split and stack directly; rather than split here, haul the splits to the stack and then stack them. By my count, one less handle on every piece adds up in a cord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v4j_4CoPME

First round at regular speed, then I edited the off-camera segments out of the rest. Still, it will get rather boring after maybe 8 or 10 of the grapple picks and shuttles.
Morning Jere,

That is a very nice setup! Thanks for sharing. I missed it. How long have you had it?

MU

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,039
Morning Jere,

That is a very nice setup! Thanks for sharing. I missed it. How long have you had it?

MU
I've had it over a month, but, I've had to rotate it on and off with the snow plow a couple times, so run time is less than half a tank of gas, probably about an hour total, with much of that pulling loads of wood in the cart.

I feel like I'm becoming a better operator. with that last bunch of rounds I moved.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Without hijacking the thread, is there a list of pros and cons of porting a saw?

Mike

1021 - 1040 of 3464 Posts