My Tractor Forum banner
5241 - 5260 of 5295 Posts

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
...and if (like me) your house doesn't have room for a mudroom shower, you can always do this...

Building Fixture Window Gas Mass production

Mike

· Super Moderator
17,116 Posts
Back to the math question, according to Wikipedia, it depends on your definition of "is" (LOL)...

View attachment 2580604

So, you're going to need to know how long you want your pieces, and the depth (front-back) of the inside of the tote (plus air space between firewood rows, ideally).

Mike
That math is wrong ...4" x 8" x 24" ( 2 feet ) is 64 Cubic feet, not 54 cubic feet...my friend with the farm gets a lot of the totes that leak for free...and that is what he does, he cuts out the plastic and uses the frames and moves the wood around with one of his larger tractors that has forks on it...he stores it away from the house, and as he needs it he brings over one at a time.
Although keeping the wood in a tote will keep it out of the rain, I think you will be trapping moisture in it and prevent the wood from curing

· Premium Member
2,072 Posts
That math is wrong ...4" x 8" x 24" ( 2 feet ) is 64 Cubic feet, not 54 cubic feet...my friend with the farm gets a lot of the totes that leak for free...and that is what he does, he cuts out the plastic and uses the frames and moves the wood around with one of his larger tractors that has forks on it...he stores it away from the house, and as he needs it he brings over one at a time
That's EXACTLY what I intend to do. And I didn't mention it earlier, but I suppose it DOES factor in. I'll continue to cut my firewood at appx. 16", so now I really don't know how to do the math involved LOL.

I suppose the best way to stack it in there without spending an entire day playing Tetris would be to put two rows across the bottom, which would come out to 36" if placed directly end to end, and then a few pieces across the gap at the bottom area where there is an approximate 4" or 12" gap to get some use of the leftover space?

· Citizen of Earth
17,005 Posts
Here is a semi funny story, showing the vast differences in perception of folks due to their upbringing. I bought my current home just over 30 years ago, an 840 s.f. modular on a wooded one acre lot at the end of a dead end road. I had just started dating a lady who grew up in town and had always lived in town until moving with her parents into a retirement village. On her first visit to my house, she said I should hire her father to come and cut all my trees down. I tried to explain to her that I bought a wooded lot because I LIKED the trees. That was a concept she just couldn't grasp. Like the time we were driving thru the country side and she saw some deer in someone's back yard and said, "Look! Someone has pet deer!" I said what do you mean by "pet deer"? She said that there was a 2 rail post & rail fence around the property. I told her that the deer could EASILY jump a fence twice that high and were in that yard just to eat the shrubs and would leave when they were done. We didn't date very long.

Getting back to firewood. I kinda wish I had a small wood stove in the living room. I get enough fallen limbs in the course of the year to enjoy the ambiance of a few fires during the winter. I have an antique Homelite Super 2 that I bought for something like $150 with a carrying case back in the late 1980's. It ran great when I was using it regularly to cut wood for my ex's wood stove. About a dozen years ago, I bought a Worx corded JawSaw, that works nice on the typical smallish limbs that drop in the yard. And about 2 years ago, I bought an electric chain saw for larger stuff that won't fit in the jawsaw and my reciprocating saw takes too long to cut. I haven't used that yet. The Homelite has been sitting in its case for the last 25 years unused. I should probably sell it because I'm not up to using it anymore.A quick look just now on Ebay shows me that they sell for a lot more than I would have guessed.

· Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Here is a semi funny story, showing the vast differences in perception of folks due to their upbringing. I bought my current home just over 30 years ago, an 840 s.f. modular on a wooded one acre lot at the end of a dead end road. I had just started dating a lady who grew up in town and had always lived in town until moving with her parents into a retirement village. On her first visit to my house, she said I should hire her father to come and cut all my trees down. I tried to explain to her that I bought a wooded lot because I LIKED the trees. That was a concept she just couldn't grasp. Like the time we were driving thru the country side and she saw some deer in someone's back yard and said, "Look! Someone has pet deer!" I said what do you mean by "pet deer"? She said that there was a 2 rail post & rail fence around the property. I told her that the deer could EASILY jump a fence twice that high and were in that yard just to eat the shrubs and would leave when they were done. We didn't date very long.

Getting back to firewood. I kinda wish I had a small wood stove in the living room. I get enough fallen limbs in the course of the year to enjoy the ambiance of a few fires during the winter. I have an antique Homelite Super 2 that I bought for something like $150 with a carrying case back in the late 1980's. It ran great when I was using it regularly to cut wood for my ex's wood stove. About a dozen years ago, I bought a Worx corded JawSaw, that works nice on the typical smallish limbs that drop in the yard. And about 2 years ago, I bought an electric chain saw for larger stuff that won't fit in the jawsaw and my reciprocating saw takes too long to cut. I haven't used that yet. The Homelite has been sitting in its case for the last 25 years unused. I should probably sell it because I'm not up to using it anymore.A quick look just now on Ebay shows me that they sell for a lot more than I would have guessed.
A lot of the old saws have a cult following. You very well could get quite a bit more than you paid for it. Try to run it. If you can get it started it will be worth even more.

· Registered
352 Posts
I've went through all the goldilocks sized(under 18") wood my tree service guys dropped off so I had to tackled the bigger stuff yesterday. I hate rolling and wrestling 24-30"+ rounds onto the splitter, even when in the vertical position. But it sure does make the wood pile up fast. Barring any stupid cold weather, 4 hours of work should keep the boiler fed for the next 3-4 weeks. Not a bad ROI.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
I put the new chain adjuster kit in the PS7900. The pin that moves the bar was a little bent. The most worn part was the little plastic bushing in the cover that the screw gear rides in. I think I could have gotten away with just replacing that bushing.
Shoe Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Tool

It only feels a little better. I was so focused on getting the bar on and adjusting the chain that I forgot to weigh the power head without the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
197 Posts
I have a firewood cutting deck 12' long with 2x4/2x6 cross boards spaced at 16" with 2' gap gives me a target spot to cut the wood into blocks. Raised the deckup onto pallets to make it higher so I don't have to bend over as far to cut the wood. I Have a ATV with 3 point system on the back with mini log arch. any way this last weekend I worked on my ramp approach and made it a little longer so less of a angle and added some Metal roofing strips to provide traction for pulling wood up onto the deck for cutting into blocks

Pics
Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire
Snow Plant Tree Wood Twig
Snow Wood Tree Trunk Twig

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty slick setup!

Mike

· Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
6,150 Posts

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Had a cord delivered today, from my usual guy. It was split recently, supposedly was cut (down, not bucked) 2.5 years ago. Yes, he doesn't understand seasoning...

We've started resplitting and debarking it, there are some very damp oak pieces. I put those on the rack with the stuff I cut here this year.

I should have enough to get through the winter. Will definitely be cutting and splitting our own stuff to be ready for the next year or two. But, that's all part of the yard clearing anyway.

Mike

· Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
6,150 Posts
It snowed today here with VERY wet snow and my knees are killing me. I should have brought wood in since I'm about out in the house but I couldn't. I will try tomorrow.

Reactions: bontai Joe

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
5241 - 5260 of 5295 Posts