My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
3661 - 3680 of 3901 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Looks good, let us know how well it works!

Mike

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
All that wood...gone?...That was enough fire wood to keep h e l l going for a whole season!

Mike...is that the same engine you put on yours?

I've always said your pile of firewood isn't squat unless you can see it from outer space. :sneaky:

4 cord left that is spoken for:

Start of the season

Plant Wood Tree Trunk Landscape
Wood Logging Natural material Lumber Landscape
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed Gun dog
Dog Liver Carnivore Companion dog Dog breed
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Parts collector
4,543 Posts
Looks good, let us know how well it works!

Mike
The stumps behind it it split without a hitch. 1/2 throttle will split about anything.
I'm happy now to cut to length the rest and get it split.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
So how many hours on the new splitter?...can't see mine from space...but I have a decent stock pile for this winter
I think there is 40.8 hours on it. A fair amount of paint is off the wedges and top of the beam.

Reactions: Bebop

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Mike...is that the same engine you put on yours?
No, mine is the next size up. I was hoping to be able to buy the cheaper engine (and maybe could have adapted it), but went with the most direct replacement for the Briggs that was originally on my splitter. It had a 1-inch shaft, which I had to cut (on the Predator).

Mike

·
Parts collector
4,543 Posts
Well here's the first try on knotty maple or walnut I split with the little guy. The grain went in 5 different directions and it went right through.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Can't ask for more than that! How many tons is your cylinder/ram/system rated for?

Mike

·
Parts collector
4,543 Posts
Can't ask for more than that! How many tons is your cylinder/ram/system rated for?

Mike
I believe it's a 20 ton. Not sure.

This is the one I'm going to hook to the Duetz off a PTO pump once it comes back from the shop.
I'll pull the engine, pump and controls, then hook the two hoses to the spool mounted on the backhoe.
I call it "the shark"
It did well, but the 18hp briggs just didn't cut it at times. I needed a gear reduction for it. Straight drive to the pump was too much for the engine with that big cylinder.

Attachments

Reactions: Bebop and jmb6420

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Wow, that looks like it'll split stuff you can't even lift that high!

Mike

·
Parts collector
4,543 Posts
Wow, that looks like it'll split stuff you can't even lift that high!

Mike
Yes it has. When you have to roll the log up your leg and lift with your arms just to get it on the splitter and it goes through it like a hot knife through butter.................

Once the tractor is back and I get the splitter hyrdro'd in I'll post some pics.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Mopar, check out the pump. My home built splitter came with a single stage pump. Once I upgraded to a dual stage from surplus center it was a whole new machine. That big of an engine should split anything you can lift.

I like having the loader free to lift the big rounds. I can split stuff I could never lift on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Better than that, he's got a backhoe!!! He should use that (with a thumb) to place the rounds onto the splitter for processing...

Mike

·
Parts collector
4,543 Posts
Better than that, he's got a backhoe!!! He should use that (with a thumb) to place the rounds onto the splitter for processing...

Mike
That's the plan, Already have that setup. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Awesome!!!

Mike

·
Parts collector
4,543 Posts
That big log behind the shark weighs over 1000# I had 600 lbs in the bucket and it was still light on the front end. But the backhoe lifted it without a problem.
The Duetz is back, so tomorrow is fitment day for the hoses, then to weld some "wings" on the splitter.

·
Parts collector
4,543 Posts
The Duetz is back after $1000 in hydro work for the FEL and a single joystick spool.
Now to get things plumbed in to the shark.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
Nice, can't wait to see that thing in action!

Mike

3661 - 3680 of 3901 Posts